When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Craigslist Buyers....... "Eager Time Wasters, Who Do Not Follow Though".

-
I'm gonna say the sellers are just as bad. If you are lucky 1 in 7 will answer there ad. After a week of trying to reach them I send them a "can you take down your fake ad". Sometimes you will get an answer like, oh it sold but I don't know how to take it down or I was on vacation and didn't have my phone with me. Funny how they answer right away then, but don't try to make the sale or take them down.

Another one today by text. Couldn't understand a couple of the texts, but I assume it was due to autocorrect.
Asks "what's the best offer you'll take for the bike?" "Which one? I have several" and he is interested in seeing the other ones as well. I said come on by and take a look and make me an offer. I rarely negotiate by phone or text anymore, because they want to negotiate an even lower price when they get here.
I will negotiate once, and only once, so make it count. Money talks, bs walks. And I'm not about to negotiate with myself. I put a price on it, if you don't like the price, make an offer.

Funny, I've seen an item that's been on well over a year. Seller dropped the price about 5 months ago but its still way way to high. Now I have a use for it and have been wanting to send a "whats the best you will take for it". I am interested, but don't feel like driving all the way up there just to get a ear full and come home empty handed.

I'm gonna say the sellers are just as bad. If you are lucky 1 in 7 will answer there ad. After a week of trying to reach them I send them a "can you take down your fake ad". Sometimes you will get an answer like, oh it sold but I don't know how to take it down or I was on vacation and didn't have my phone with me. Funny how they answer right away then, but don't try to make the sale or take them down.

Funny, I've seen an item that's been on well over a year. Seller dropped the price about 5 months ago but its still way way to high. Now I have a use for it and have been wanting to send a "whats the best you will take for it". I am interested, but don't feel like driving all the way up there just to get a ear full and come home empty handed.

Maybe I'm just "old school" but I enjoy the art of negotiation. I always price my items and usually leave some wiggle room. I feel like, I priced it, so if the potential buyer wants to make an offer they can, otherwise it's priced as marked. When someone asks "whats the least you'll take" they're basically asking you to negotiate with yourself. I now usually counter with something like "whats the most you'll give me?"

Case in point, yesterday I sold a small zero turn mower I've had for a while. Nothing wrong with it, just don't really have the space for it. I put a price of $900 on it, and said "or reasonable offer, in person. I will not negotiate over the phone or by text"
So a guy about an hour away texts and says will you take $500? I replied and said "will you re-read the ad?"
He says sorry, but he just wants to know what's the lowest I'll take because he has to drive about an hour to get here. (not my problem.)
I said, "I am negotiable in person. Come see it, try it out, and make me a reasonable offer, but a bs offer of $500 ain't gonna cut it."

Surprisingly, he actually did show up, made several offers which I declined, 600, 650, then 700 and I said "look, I'll take 750 right now." He says how about 725 'cause I gotta pay this guy (who drove him there in a box truck to pick it up) Again, not my problem, 750 take it or leave it. He ended up buying it for 750, after having to leave and find a bank because he didn't bring the money with him.

I find that often, people who ask whats the lowest you'll take, (if I do decide to be a nice guy and negotiate with myself and throw out a lower number) THEN they want to begin negotiations from the lower number. Not gonna happen! I will negotiate ONCE and only once.
I will not give a lower price and then negotiate. I will not accept your offer over the phone, then have you offer less once you get here. I've had too many people waste my time with stuff like that.

I've had great experiences and lousy ones on CL. I sold a car yesterday to a really nice family and we ended up talking for almost an hour. Super nice people. And I've had people that were so creepy and cheap that I just had to turn around and leave. I never meet anyone on my own property. that's a given. But I've realized that, for me anyway, it is 100% RANDOM. You never know 'till it happens.

Well this weekend, I ended being the big jerk.

I had a guy drive out to see a item and he found a small defect I missed. I felt absoultely terrible about it, and could tell he was not happy. I sent him a appology afterwards. He repounded back saying "Don't worry this is not the first time this has happened, I'm very particular, and said he forgave me".

I pulled the listing off the site imediately.

I collect a variety of antique items, and try my best to be honest with them all. But can still make a mistake. I feel really bad about this one, as I hate to waste peoples time. It sucks to be far sided, as I put on my reading glasses and inspected this item thoughly before listing it, but ultimately did make a honest mistake that was a deal breaker for this potential buyer.

Last edited:
Back