When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crank & Pedals

-

pedalpower17

Finally riding a big boys bike
This is from a 1930s Westfield. Looking for comments on a couple questions. First, the pedal has been welded into the crank, whose threads must have been destroyed long ago. Any Cabers capable of offering a repair solution? Second, were there diamond tread peddles in the 30s or 40s?

Crank & Pedal.jpg

From the one picture of your crank that you posted. I think that your crank might not be the correct original type for your bike.
If you want to save the crank, file, cut or grind away the weld and remove the pedal. If the pedal is brazed in, do not use a grinding stone, filing and cutting is ok. Also if it is brazed, you can try heating it up to melt the brass. Once the pedal is out, we can look at repairing the pedal hole.

From the one picture of your crank that you posted. I think that your crank might not be the correct original type for your bike.
If you want to save the crank, file, cut or grind away the weld and remove the pedal. If the pedal is brazed in, do not use a grinding stone, filing and cutting is ok. Also if it is brazed, you can try heating it up to melt the brass. Once the pedal is out, we can look at repairing the pedal hole.
I suspect the same about the crank, and really doubt that the pedals are OE. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I'll poke around for a 30s Westfield crank & chain ring before trying to repair this one.

Once the pedal is off, you can probably re-tap it for 9/16, use the Unior repair bushings (work great, but also 9/16), or use a helicoil for the 1/2' by I can;t remember, Helicoils come in left and right hand threads. The price a local shop gave me to repair a pedal thread was more than the whole Unior kit. If it is welded on, just bore it out to the pilot size for 1/2" threads and re-tap. Make sure it is annealed.

Once the pedal is off, you can probably re-tap it for 9/16, use the Unior repair bushings (work great, but also 9/16), or use a helicoil for the 1/2' by I can;t remember, Helicoils come in left and right hand threads. The price a local shop gave me to repair a pedal thread was more than the whole Unior kit. If it is welded on, just bore it out to the pilot size for 1/2" threads and re-tap. Make sure it is annealed.
thanks for that suggestion. At this point I'm searching around for an OE crank...or something closer than this one.

Back