When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crazy & destructive bike stunts as a kid???

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Sevenhills1952

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Curious what others did as a kid with a bicycle you wouldn't dream of doing as an adult. Crazy, destructive things.
Two things come to mind with me, growing up in the country.
First was an old Elgin bike we trashed, so one winter day I got the idea to hose down a long steep hill that went to my grandmother's cinder block incinerator. I measured it off with a long strong rope, tying one end to a tree at the top, other end just long enough to reach incinerator.
When my friends came over, ground now frozen, I said here's the idea... I can loop any part of the bike as soon as someone gets on it while we give him a good push.
First up was me, one guy loops rope over the seat post.
That guy got on...just as we pushed I looped rope over his foot![emoji23]
Looking back, how we survived is beyond me.
Second one was in summer. We had a 2 acre pond on our place with a long pasture leading down to it. We took turns flying downhill into the lake.
Then Jim shows up...at 16 he was 6'5, 380#. We finally coaxed him to ride. He's flying downhill ringing the bike bell when I look to the fellow next to me. He had a broomstick and just as Jim is at the shore he crams it into the front wheel. Jim does a complete somersault still holding the bike, lands out in the water.
After what seemed like an eternity we see Jim climbing up the dock ladder which of course snapped.
Curious what other stunts people did (that you'd admit to[emoji16]).

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Miq
Wow, hard to top the old broom handle through the front wheel. In the mid sixties we would play demolition derby with our bicycles. Also we had a track through the woods tearing ass in and out of the trees. The best I ever did was me riding the handle bars, with my feet perched on the front axle nuts, my buddy was driving. My foot slipped into the spokes. And the rest was history. Ass over head we both went down on the blacktop.

Lets not forget the old trick of having your buddies doing a wheelie after you loosen the front axle nuts.

From the wipe out thread:

Okay. This is just part of the reason I have been on the hunt for a 59 Red Phantom, which I was on when this incident took place in the Summer of 1960 when I was 14. I was casually riding down the street with a friend ( he was on a 57 Blue Hornet DeLuxe ) So anyway, about about a block down the street I see Barbara, who was a real dish, talking with her girlfriend in the front yard. Wanting to really impress her I try to kick the balloon on my front fender brace into the spokes. So, just as I approach her driveway my toes go a little too far into the spokes and I go ass over heels right there in her front lawn. I eventually dated her my entire senior year in 63 and was in love. Ahhh, memories.

Good stuff! I was of the generation where we would take the old (60s) Stingrays and tear off the seat, sissy bar, handlebars and make a bmx bike. We would make sketchy jumps out of cinderblock and plywood jumping kids lying down! We would repaint them all the time! As far as stupid poop, i continue to do it! Heres me conquering a 9 step on my sweet 40 Elgin!

5D94C544-CD18-46B6-93EA-24335EA06BE3.jpeg

DE1D359A-EFF6-44B5-921A-041564329AA3.jpeg

BE2CF8AE-7C2A-4B9A-BBC0-912F105E44BD.jpeg

My younger brother and I welded up some parts to make a big bike. About 10 years ago. We just eyeballed it, but it was balanced like we knew what we were doing. So I found I could pull a wheelie and even ride with no hands. But the big 3" tires and forks were too heavy when I pulled it too high, and over it came. My leg wrapped up like a pretzel and I couldn't walk it off so I went to the ER and had to explain what happened. Only sprained my knee and ankle.

20567_249449076736_6394206_n (1) - Copy.jpg

Not me but my step-son. When I first met his mother (my wife) I was pulling into her driveway one day when he and a friend of his had just built a ramp for jumping bicycles. Shades of Napoleon Dynamite. They nailed through the uprights into the side of some thin plywood. The moment the bike hit the ramp, the nails gave way and "RACK". Wasn't pretty but it sure was funny. He did survive to produce two grandbabies for us.

My buddies in I did plenty of ramp jumping as well as building our own BMX type trails threw the woods back at the railroad.......even a spot where we could jump a not so wide creek......lots of wrecks,and poison ivy but lots of fun.
I have 2 nasty wrecks that jump out........lucky I wasn't really hurt in both.

1) On my Itoh 10 speed going down an expressway overpass pedaling as fast as I can with my fishing rod and tackle box.....and I could roll pretty
good on that thing. I'm hauling arse when the front wheel comes off - I bite it big time in the left lane in shorts and a tank top.
Almost as quick as I hit, or at least it seemed like it, I jumped up, grab the bike, my front tire, rod, etc and walk over to the pond and start fishing
and that's no BS. Well 2 mins later the adrenaline wore off / pain hits and my buddy keeps telling me I better go - I'm bleeding.
I jumped on his 20" Schwinn and pedal home......about a mile - get there and nobody's home so I get in the tub. Right after I get in my buddy and
Dad coming running in.......my family was out getting ice cream and stopped to see if we'd caught anything and my buddy told them what
happened. My Pops made sure I didn't need to go to the hospital......and then we started pulling rocks out of my legs, hip and shoulder.
I'd hit so hard I cracked the frame........that was the end of that bike. My Pops who is 73 and my buddies and I still laugh about that one.

2) A couple 2-3 of my buddies were sitting on their bikes in the bowling alley parking lot........and I come flying up on my 20" bike.
Like we all did / all the time to be kool I wanted to skid / slide up to them......braking and make it close - not happening this time !!
When I hit my brakes my rear tire wasn't on the pavement - I'd hit the brakes at the perfect / worst time and a big rock was between the tire and
parking lot pavement....needless to say I wasn't stopping. I went right by them hit the lip to the sidewalk and flew into the bowling alley brick wall.
I smoked my shoulder, busted my knee up and trashed the front wheel.........crazy bad luck I guess..or maybe good luck ???

**** Ever spray WD40 on a slick garage floor......set it on fire and then skid threw that. Explain that black mark to your Dad :)

Back