When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crazy Iron Ranch Swapmeet Story

-

MaxGlide

Wore out three sets of tires already!
So every year the Canucks from Vancouver, BC drive down to the Iron Ranch Swap in Ridgefield WA (near Vancouver Washington) and we camp the first night, party, raid incoming dealers then wake up at 6am to catch any new stuff that has arrived. We then pack up, usually stay at Eastside Lodge in Portland, meet up with local riders, proceed to ride all over town usually ending up at Sassy's to end the night. We then drive home with as many bikes as we can! I had my bike rack loaded with a semi crusty Phantom and a real nice lady's Colorflow.

But this is not about that epic weekend, this is about my drive TO the swap. I usually make this a bit of a holiday for myself, leave early and come back late. This year I wanted to leave Thursday but was not able to leave until early Friday morning. Get to border early but there's only ONE lane open with about 20 cars in line. Takes about an HOUR but I figure "it's warm and sunny and I'm in no rush."

After I cross the border I make contact with the rest of the convoy who informs me that they'll be stopping at a Fred Meyer's somewhere to stock up on grub for the weekend. I have half a thought of continuing on at my own pace but decide not to be a loner and link up with the crew. As I enter the parking lot at Fred Meyer, a fella drives up and notes the great bikes I have on the back. We chat a bit about it all and then proceed to get some groceries and he heads off. We come back out to the vehicles after shopping and the boys decide they want coffee and I volunteer to watch the vehicles while they do. The same fella from before rolls up and asks if they Phantom is for sale? I say it is and throw out a price and he says "you got ten minutes, I'll be back with the money"? So the boys come back, I send them on their way figuring I'll catch up. Guy comes back, I get the money, get on the road with only the Colorflow on the rack now. Traffic jams in Seattle, Tacoma and Olympia but I'm cool because it's sunny and I already sold a bike!

So now I'm cruising at 75mph when I notice this fella on my right waving like crazy. I open my window and he yells "super cool bike on the back" I yell back that it sure is and figure "what the heck" and yell back "ITS FOR SALE TOO" He motions me to pull over then proceeds to tell me he has a coffee shop with a bike theme and I reply that i do to. He invites to his shop for a coffee ten minutes down the road in Lacey and we proceed to ride all his electric bikes though the neighbourhood like madmen. The we talk turkey about the Colorflow and he ends up buying it there and then with the ideal of hanging it over the cash register in his coffee shop.

Oh, and the rest weekend we awesome as well!

Back