When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crescent Model 20 just bought, need info

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I realize you probably just went to some trouble and expense to replate the handlebars, but I think you can find much closer matches than those big curved cruiser bars. TOC bars were much smaller and simpler, and aren't hard to find at swap meets. Even some 3-speed bars would be closer.
@Jesse McCauley or I could match up a pair of TOC bars that would look fantastic on this bicycle rather than using those huge 1930's U-bars. As Waffenrad said, TOC bars are pretty easy to locate. Why tart up you lovely bike with something that is so grossly wrong?

I realize you probably just went to some trouble and expense to replate the handlebars, but I think you can find much closer matches than those big curved cruiser bars. TOC bars were much smaller and simpler, and aren't hard to find at swap meets. Even some 3-speed bars would be closer.
These bars are just some I had. I'll decide what to use after I ride it. Also looking for seats & pedals. ( This is Kansas, only 1 swap meet per year around here & you won't find TOC parts there) Thanks for the comment & if you know where to get parts for this thing I'd appreciate a heads up.

Holy Smoke, that's looking really good! I've been watching this project since you first posted, and it looks like you've just about got it. Keep up the good work, and be sure to show us once its ready for action!
Thanks for the comment. The striping came out great. I hesitate to post on this site, usually just get nonsense from the experts. It would be nice to put this bike back all original but I haven't had much luck finding original parts. If I find them in the future I can replace the non-originals but I aint holding my breath on that. This has been a fun project.

Not as cheap as a swap meet of course, but TOC parts are available on both theCabe and on eBay. Below are a few possibilities right now for handlebars. Two pair of matched pedals certainly won't be cheap, but if you're willing to start with mis-matched ones they're not too hard to find on the internet. You can also call or put the word out to known antique parts dealers, like Curtis Anthony in Philadelphia, Sam Fitzsimmons in Baltimore, or Greg Barron in CA (for repros), to name just a few. There are many more in these forums. You can also bid remotely on parts lots at the annual Copake antique bicycle auction. Shipping and the 18% buyer's premium will drive up your cost to Kansas, but deals can be had. If you plan to ride your tandem when you finish it, consider joining The Wheelmen. They have active classified ads in their newsletter, and their last annual meet before the pandemic was in Missouri, not too far from you.

Last edited:
Not as cheap as a swap meet of course, but TOC parts are available on both theCabe and on eBay. Below are a few possibilities right now for handlebars. Two pair of matched pedals certainly won't be cheap, but if you're willing to start with mis-matched ones they're not too hard to find on the internet. You can also call or put the word out to known antique parts dealers, like Curtis Anthony in Philadelphia, Sam Fitzsimmons in Baltimore, or Greg Barron in CA (for repros), to name just a few. There are many more in these forums. You can also bid remotely on parts lots at the annual Copake antique bicycle auction. Shipping and the 18% buyer's premium will drive up your cost to Kansas, but deals can be had. If you plan to ride your tandem when you finish it, consider joining The Wheelmen. They have active classified ads in their newsletter, and their last annual meet before the pandemic was in Missouri, not too far from you.

Thats good info, thanks for this. I'll settle for repros. First time I've seen the names you mentioned, I'll get with them. I went to a swap meet in KC Mo. a couple of months ago. Met some good people but stuff there was all post WW2. I haven't been to the one they used to have in Springfield Mo. for several years. Used to see some great deals on balloon parts there. I had forgotton about that meet. A guy there is in the Wheelmen named James Allen. Your note got me thinking about him. Thanks for some good constructive advice, good luck, Thad

1897 Crescent bicycle rear axle dropouts had grooved adjustments and grooved plates for adjusting chain tension.

E6662462-0C2A-4CB0-8B57-162A01E26A86.jpeg

0567BE7E-E940-4864-8149-543CF47DC9E3.jpeg

D36BB0FC-3D46-48B7-82A9-0F6DC90D25A4.jpeg

C5968979-7930-4E5F-A67F-5760E3915748.jpeg

Last edited:
No parts for sale, sorry.
I am going to have a few wooden handlebars stems made. It’s a 2-piece stem, only made for the Crescent wooden bars.

AEEEC662-5EF8-4729-8FF6-3A2B0F1949EE.jpeg

5E968AE6-7C69-4C0D-91EE-56F17F64CBE2.jpeg

Back