When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crescent Pepita

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jesper

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Photos of completed Pepita: CAMPAGNOLO Valentino Extra shifters, and derailleurs, Tipo hubs, Record post, down tube cable guide; WEINMANN Vainqueur brakeset; NISI Moncalieri rims, STRONGLIGHT cranks, SIMPLEX rings (50/45); ATOM 5 speed freewheel; LYOTARD pedals; IDEALE #45 saddle; AVA stem; REG top tube cable guides; Shimano stay cable stop; SRAM chain. l have completed this bike for the time being, needs a clamp-on bottle cage mount, and replacement "531" decals for the frame/fork. Using a Zefal HP pump vice SILCA due to fit and color. Although original pedals are installed I plan on testing a set of French thread Atom quill pedals in the future to see if they are more comfortable. Chain change made a difference in performance. After looking at photos: I need to pull through a little more rear brake cable housing to the front, and flip a rear brake pad which is facing the wrong way (oops!), it didn't slip during any riding though.
attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Couple more shots
attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Thanks @bulldog1935 and @juvela,

I could have covered in chequers, but it's all easily removed. I had to override the build l did for a friend, since his ride was getting all the compliments (my ego). You'd think I'd be happy knowing that others were actually indirectly complimenting me, but no!
The orange "fill in" detailing took about 3-4 days allowing for curing and finish work. Most work had to be hand buffed to avoid paint removal; ended up redoing a few areas because of that. It's nice when stamped and cast details are deep and sharp, otherwise it becomes a much more complicated process; which this project ended up becoming, albeit very satisfactory.

Performance update: I receivedI did about a 10 mile and +15 mile rides on this bike over the weekend with absolutely no issues. I think that the chain made a big difference in shifting the rear gears, didn't notice anything unusual; but the shifters themselves are not as smooth as other Campy shifters (there is no "plastic" bushing, just the steel "thrust" washer), and you cannot hand adjust (need a flat tip screwdriver); I may add bushings or exchange with Campy "Nuovo Gran Sport" shifters, which have a better feel, look, and are adjustable by hand. Otherwise, this has been a great ride, saddle needs "breaking-in".

Last edited:
-----

Thank you for the update and response. ;)

Are the fittings on the bicycle all as it came to you?

Have you determined a specific date for it?

If hubs original locknuts will show a specific year.

Bottom bracket cable guide a poor match for use with the Valentino front mech which is designed to be used with cable casing. You have unnecessary friction there at the housing stop.

All best. :)

-----

-----
Thank you for the update and response. ;)

Are the fittings on the bicycle all as it came to you?

Have you determined a specific date for it?

If hubs original locknuts will show a specific year.

Bottom bracket cable guide a poor match for use with the Valentino front mech which is designed to be used with cable casing. You have unnecessary friction there at the housing stop.

All best. :)

Juvela,
Right now the only items that were not on the bike as I received it: brake/shifter cables (except brake "straddle" cables), brake cable housings, chain, bar wrap, seat post, and lever covers. One TT cable guide (REG) is removed. I don't know if the hubs had been rebuilt, but I believe I checked for date on the lock nut and didn't find any; I'll check again. I was thinking about the front shift cable using a housing, but I didn't have a clamp-on cable stop; I would have used stainless housing for that section if I had a stop for it. I don't know if it came that way from the factory as I have yet to see a catalog example, and another example I saw was from around 1970 and did not use the same components (common on these frames, since they were often sold in a shop and had what the customer ordered to be installed as opposed to a standard group), brakes probably the most consistent using MAFAC or Weinmann centerpulls, even on the "Specials" (Campy brakes were more of an optional item, at least early on when Campy first introduced their calipers). I have seen full Simplex drivetrains (rod derailleur on the front), and Sun Tour on these, aside from the "Specials" (92320) which generally had Campy "Nuovo Record" drivetrain. The front derailleur moves fine even with the "extra" friction introduced from the cable routing. Plus, I am generally only using the front shifter to adjust for chain rub on the cage, but everything is greased at the contact points to reduce friction and wear. That's what make actual year and model difficult; if looking at the catalog examples, my bike would have a mix of parts from different models. I have not seen mention of any "Valentino" group, only "Gran Sport" for the mid to lower models; all utilizing the same 531 DB frame set as the top of the line model. I could easily turn this into a "Special" since I have a couple "Nuovo Record" groups laying about for future use, but I like the fact that it retains it "less racing and more recreational" build. I will put a SILCA pump on it, as they were the standard pump used back then, and the Zefal is definitely not period correct. I do have some vintage Atom pedals which I have yet to try, but I think they would provide better function/comfort and look (no reflectors) than the Lyotards.

-----

Thanks very much for the thoughtful and detailed response. Greatly appreciated! ;)

With regard to variations in kitting of MCB products people in the trade have commented to me that because of its location Varberg was likely not high on the priorities list of component makers in France and Italy. Hence some of the odd and varying fittings combinations.

Owned a Monark model 305 from about 1972 which I purchased new. It was an odd mix. The lugless frame was made with Huret forged ends and was fitted with a Fauber/Briga one-piece chainset with T.A. chanwheels. Brakeset was comprised of CLB levers and steel centrepull calipers. Its wheelbase was so long that when I went around corners felt like I should reach around and lift the saddle's cantle in order to bring the rear wheel on around with me!

Here is a Crescent badged example of a model 305 from about that time (not my bicycle:(

-----

Back