When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crescent Pepita

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-----

circa 1970 MCB brochures -

1646414505273.png

1646414613274.png

1646414689355.png

---

-----

Juvela,
Right now the only items that were not on the bike as I received it: brake/shifter cables (except brake "straddle" cables), brake cable housings, chain, bar wrap, seat post, and lever covers. One TT cable guide (REG) is removed. I don't know if the hubs had been rebuilt, but I believe I checked for date on the lock nut and didn't find any; I'll check again. I was thinking about the front shift cable using a housing, but I didn't have a clamp-on cable stop; I would have used stainless housing for that section if I had a stop for it. I don't know if it came that way from the factory as I have yet to see a catalog example, and another example I saw was from around 1970 and did not use the same components (common on these frames, since they were often sold in a shop and had what the customer ordered to be installed as opposed to a standard group), brakes probably the most consistent using MAFAC or Weinmann centerpulls, even on the "Specials" (Campy brakes were more of an optional item, at least early on when Campy first introduced their calipers). I have seen full Simplex drivetrains (rod derailleur on the front), and Sun Tour on these, aside from the "Specials" (92320) which generally had Campy "Nuovo Record" drivetrain. The front derailleur moves fine even with the "extra" friction introduced from the cable routing. Plus, I am generally only using the front shifter to adjust for chain rub on the cage, but everything is greased at the contact points to reduce friction and wear. That's what make actual year and model difficult; if looking at the catalog examples, my bike would have a mix of parts from different models. I have not seen mention of any "Valentino" group, only "Gran Sport" for the mid to lower models; all utilizing the same 531 DB frame set as the top of the line model. I could easily turn this into a "Special" since I have a couple "Nuovo Record" groups laying about for future use, but I like the fact that it retains it "less racing and more recreational" build. I will put a SILCA pump on it, as they were the standard pump used back then, and the Zefal is definitely not period correct. I do have some vintage Atom pedals which I have yet to try, but I think they would provide better function/comfort and look (no reflectors) than the Lyotards.
Hey Jesper. While researching two Crescents I have picked up in the last year, I came across a posting on another forum which had a brochure from 1973 which has a 319 model with Valentino derailleurs and stock equipment which sure seems to fit yours. Thought you would want to know. I have a a 72 320 model all original dated with the campy components. Just picked up another yesterday that I believe is a 317. Has the Japanese components and if the brochure is correct on the other forum, it could be a 1970. All seems to fit.Those brochures state that the models under the 320 were available with the Japanese components and Vitus frames that early. Really like all the detail work you did on yours, beautiful. The one I just picked up was definitely a rider and can use a little touch up paint. Was wondering what paint you used to match the color? Thanks and enjoying the posting, Kevin.

Hey Jesper. While researching two Crescents I have picked up in the last year, I came across a posting on another forum which had a brochure from 1973 which has a 319 model with Valentino derailleurs and stock equipment which sure seems to fit yours. Thought you would want to know. I have a a 72 320 model all original dated with the campy components. Just picked up another yesterday that I believe is a 317. Has the Japanese components and if the brochure is correct on the other forum, it could be a 1970. All seems to fit.Those brochures state that the models under the 320 were available with the Japanese components and Vitus frames that early. Really like all the detail work you did on yours, beautiful. The one I just picked up was definitely a rider and can use a little touch up paint. Was wondering what paint you used to match the color? Thanks and enjoying the posting, Kevin.
-----

thanks very much for this post & information!

the 319's at me local Monark stockist in 1972-73 were coming through kitted with Campag NR gear ensemble, Stronglight model 93 chainset, Campag NT hubs, MAFAC Racer brakes, plain saddle pillar, MCB headset, Ideale leather saddle of model 80 or 90, Lyotard pedals

three liveries were offered: orange, blue & white

thanks again! 😉

-----

Interesting that in 1970 there was no model 319 apparently. But there was in the 73 literature. Apparently the 320 was always just offered in orange but the other models were available in the white and blue as well. The 319 and below could also be Vitus tubing where as the 320 was always Reynolds. Pretty sure my latest, purchased yesterday, is the 317. I picked up an amazing 320 last summer at the Portland swap. Last bike I have been on. Two lumbar surgeries last September and an extensive cervical fusion just two weeks ago today has kept me from a lot. Hence the reason I am not able to post pics just yet. Did 12 miles on the 320 a couple days before the first surgeries and still smiling from that ride. Didn’t want to get into a lot, just wanted to let you know that I wasn’t being lazy about posting pics.

-----

dunno how easy it is to view but the listing for the Crescent model 319 in those brochures posted the other day illustrates a machine with a cottered three-arm chainset

seller of brochures lists them simply as "1970's" but the chainset on the 319 made me think the brochure could not be later than 1970

by 1971 the 319's we received in my area were coming through with Stronglight model 93 chainsets

OTOH it could be that MCB illustrated the 319 with an example which was already out of date by the time of the brochure's printing...

have noticed this to be a fairly frequent occurrence with bicycle brochures and catalogues

-----

-----

renewed activity this day on two MCB threads over at BF

new member wishes to discuss the Skandia marque...

-----

Back