When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cresent No 25 tandem bicycle purchased Chicago 1893

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
100+ year old stories handed down over time often tend to change over time, sometimes embellished others not, but bikes changed A LOT in the 1890's so a catalog/ad is in order to nail down true year of bike. If it's late 1890's it means the story was changed or embellished or just not true clearly. Not calling anyone out but things are not always "as told or handed down". It is a great "story" in any event.

100+ year old stories handed down over time often tend to change over time, sometimes embellished others not, but bikes changed A LOT in the 1890's so a catalog/ad is in order to nail down true year of bike. If it's late 1890's it means the story was changed or embellished or just not true clearly. Not calling anyone out but things are not always "as told or handed down". It is a great "story" in any event.

I agree such diligence is necessary and do not dispute your and others skepticism. The Chicago Colombian Expo ran from May thru October of 1893. The daughter related the story of the bike to me. Her mother, original owner, gave me a walking stick (she lived into her late 90's, was a friend of my grandmother) she had purchased at the Expo. Still, stories do change, and the family would likely have visited Chicago occasionally in the late 1890's.

The bike is what it is and needs to be integrated with reliable documentation.

That bike did not exist in 93, I have the catalog that year. No tandems and they were still early pneumatics, not the wood rimmed variety. That tandem is post 95 at least. You pretty much can't believe anything that comes down in an oral history unless there is independent proof of what they are claiming, like a picture of the couple on the bike at the fair

60 years old

I am 60 years old , I have an 1889 overman wheel co. victor highwheel bicycle ,, I got it for free 37 years ago, I rode it across america in 1984 , I have ridden my victor over 20,000 miles ,in canada, holland, switzerland,france ,germany ,united kingdom ,this is a true documented cycle story , .. walter branche -cycle seeker,selector,have cash will travel anywhere in the world for stuff
44303_1532121658215_1089964912_1608388_155286_n.jpg
MVC-012S.JPG

trying to find a home- Crescent No 25 tandem bicycle -Western Wheel Works

I love it, is it for sale?

I have a Crescent No 25 tandem bicycle -Western Wheel Works Chicago USA. As the tread additions indicate this is probably from the late 1890's.

I have not interest in restoring the bike, but do not want to junk it.

I will accept any reasonable offer for the bike and try to minimize transportation costs for the buyer.

The thread contains pictures and a description of the bike.

Back