Critique requested -schwinn

This ad disappears when logged in

Beach Bum III

Look Ma, No Hands!
Jan 1, 2019
Kaua'i, Hawai'i
Well, I think it's pretty cool. If the paint is original, I say get it and bomb around on it! Wheels like like later additions? What "Island Schwinn" said about the fenders. Still, it's neat.

GTs58

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Sep 2, 2012
Central Arizona
With that shorty carrier and rocket ray light I'd take a guess and say that's a 1954 D-16 Streamliner with a fender swap and the optional springer. Decal on the chain guard or? Looks like the paint is in excellent shape.

fattyre

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Oct 22, 2014
Chicagoland
Wheels look suspect, particularly the front hub and axle nuts. Looks like the wheels might have been replaced. Although its not a really good picture.

oldmtrcyc

Finally riding a big boys bike
Apr 23, 2012
Pacific NW
Thanks for all the input!! The chrome fenders and lack of anything on the chainguard was throwing me off.. I am guessing green fenders in the same condition may be tough to find, especially when looking for them.

Hammerhead

Oct 5, 2018
Franklin,NH
Wheels look suspect, particularly the front hub and axle nuts. Looks like the wheels might have been replaced. Although its not a really good picture.
I'm inclined to agree with fattyre. Wheels look suspicious,and the rear fender appears to be installed incorrectly.
Hammerhead

Jeff54

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Sep 11, 2013
Ft Myers, Florida
Based on that 9 hole rack then, potentially a 51 (Serial numbers on BB) to an 52-53 (serial numbers on drop-out) Streamliner. The 54 has the DX style of paint scheme.

Those are NOT Schwinn rims but newer china.

And yeah, you'll pay hell locating the fenders.

otherwise, that's a nice frameset an tank. Moreover, for the Paint scheme and typical accessories, , it's Schwinn's auto-cycle (discontinued in 52- 53) under a different name.

1951-schwinn-streamliner.jpg

Thanks for all the input!! The chrome fenders and lack of anything on the chainguard was throwing me off.. I am guessing green fenders in the same condition may be tough to find, especially when looking for them.

Last edited:

Roadkill

May 7, 2016
Peoria, AZ
There are some green Schwinn fenders for sale on here in the bike parts forum. Maybe they are the right ones, I'm not sure. Ride on, Sean

Sven

I live for the CABE
Dec 24, 2017
Mechanicsville, MD, United States
I will be the first to admit that I don't know beans about this family of Schwinns.
Its depending on how much " it was offered" to for. What do you want to do with it?

oldmtrcyc

Apr 23, 2012
Pacific NW
I have a picture of the serial number on the bottom bracket (D76182)
IMG954480.jpg

Last edited:

GTs58

Sep 2, 2012
Central Arizona
D serial number, 1948 B6 with a springer. A set of correct fenders and you're good to go, maybe. ;) Need a better shot of the rims or tire size, they kind a look S-7ish to me.
1548740328057.png

oldmtrcyc

Apr 23, 2012
Pacific NW
Thank you! So if 1948, the rack should be a 6 hole? Painted fenders and trainlight. Rims painted? Handlebars with crossbar. Seat. If anyone has parts, Please let me know!

GTs58

Sep 2, 2012
Central Arizona
Cross bars were a figment of Schwinn's imagination in most cases. 1948 ushered in the S-2 rims and the B6 rims were chrome. Your picture has the seat covered with grandma's rug and the correct seat might be underneath.

The pedals on this one are incorrect. Chain ring may or may not have been changed out. Gives you a rough idea of what these are selling for.
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/reduced-again-1948-schwinn-b6.140127/

1548746421079.png

Jeff54

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Sep 11, 2013
Ft Myers, Florida
So, to summarize this, you've got an Deluxe Autocycle frame and springer fork that was pieced together with a Panther's rack, fenders, probably peddles and the missing or messed up graphics on chain guard might be Panther as well , Chinese rims, uncertain seat (and where'd that chrome rail on seat come from?) And later grips so possibly later bar and stem too. . The Tank is likely off of a streamliner or so. And IDK but prob got a lot of touch up paint on it too.

It's a good start on an Deluxe Autocycle reconstruction but some very hard missing parts.

Here's, although not green but black, what an original yet, may have had a few changes and is that tank for real? IDK but fork frame and fenders; fantastic orig paint, ; 48 complete looks like: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/1948-schwinn-b607.100985/

image-jpeg.jpg

oldmtrcyc

Apr 23, 2012
Pacific NW
Thanks for the picture of the nice black b6. I have seen other pictures of it here on the cabe. Near as I can tell on my green B6, the frame, fork, and tank all match and don't have any touch up anywhere. I can't fathom why the fenders and wheels would have been removed. Anyway, my search continues for parts.

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture