When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Critique requested -schwinn

-

oldmtrcyc

I live for the CABE
I have been offered this bike, which I know very little about. Any thoughts? I haven't seen in person. Thanks!
IMG954272.jpg

Well, I think it's pretty cool. If the paint is original, I say get it and bomb around on it! Wheels like like later additions? What "Island Schwinn" said about the fenders. Still, it's neat.

With that shorty carrier and rocket ray light I'd take a guess and say that's a 1954 D-16 Streamliner with a fender swap and the optional springer. Decal on the chain guard or? Looks like the paint is in excellent shape.

Wheels look suspect, particularly the front hub and axle nuts. Looks like the wheels might have been replaced. Although its not a really good picture.

Thanks for all the input!! The chrome fenders and lack of anything on the chainguard was throwing me off.. I am guessing green fenders in the same condition may be tough to find, especially when looking for them.

Wheels look suspect, particularly the front hub and axle nuts. Looks like the wheels might have been replaced. Although its not a really good picture.
I'm inclined to agree with fattyre. Wheels look suspicious,and the rear fender appears to be installed incorrectly.
Hammerhead

Based on that 9 hole rack then, potentially a 51 (Serial numbers on BB) to an 52-53 (serial numbers on drop-out) Streamliner. The 54 has the DX style of paint scheme.

Those are NOT Schwinn rims but newer china.

And yeah, you'll pay hell locating the fenders.

otherwise, that's a nice frameset an tank. Moreover, for the Paint scheme and typical accessories, , it's Schwinn's auto-cycle (discontinued in 52- 53) under a different name.

1951-schwinn-streamliner.jpg

Thanks for all the input!! The chrome fenders and lack of anything on the chainguard was throwing me off.. I am guessing green fenders in the same condition may be tough to find, especially when looking for them.

Last edited:
Back