When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crown - Great Western Mfr. Co.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

velo-vecchio

Finally riding a big boys bike
Anybody know anything about these? I found the frame especially interesting and it must have been innovative in that period to come up with something beyond either diamond or truss. The badge is quite nice too - at $550 I passed but maybe I shouldn't have (?).

IMG_6601.jpg

IMG_6602.jpg

USD556250png-1.jpg

DESIGN.

E. J. LONN.

BICYCLE FRAME.

APPUCATION FILED JAN. 29, 1920. 55 ,625, Patented July 6, 1920.

UNITED STATES PATENT OFFICE.

EDWARD JULIUS LONN, OF LAPORTE, INDIANA, ASSIGNOR T0 GREAT WESTERN MANUFACTURING (30., OF LAPORTE, INDIANA, A CORPORATION OF INDIANA.

Reading Standard was bought by Great Western and utilized this frame design for quite some time.

Here's a Great Western built Reading that now resides in Indianapolis.

13866092373_23f54a38fa_o-1.jpg
Untitled by VW Sightings, on Flickr

13866484654_23e53d7fa7_b-1.jpg

13866615894_3169558d0b_b-1.jpg

My encyclopedia-friends have all chimed in ... so nice to spend my time on this site instead of doing actual work. Wait, who said that?

Anybody know anything about these? I found the frame especially interesting and it must have been innovative in that period to come up with something beyond either diamond or truss. The badge is quite nice too - at $550 I passed but maybe I shouldn't have (?).

View attachment 173522

View attachment 173523
Its interesting how the fork is bent like the one on my frame. Seeing this bike and the patent below leads me to believe that my frame is a Crown and not a Reading.

http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?57678-Am-I-READING-this-correctly-Could-this-be-STANDARD

reading_1.jpg

Back