When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cruiser 5 and Krate Chains

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Balloonatic

Riding my '39 Silver King 26X
Does anybody know the brand of chain Schwinn used (originally when new) on the Cruiser/Spitfire/Klunker bikes in the late 70s/early 80s?

I know they used Diamond brand chains pre and post war, but curious what brand they used on the 70s & early 80s bikes?

Anyone know?

Thanks!

I assume you're asking about the 5 speed chains only. Sedis is one brand they used on some of the early geared bikes and later they used 天源義記機械股份有限公司. :)

Last edited:
@GTs58, thanks! Yes, I'm asking about 5 speed, Schwinn chains.

I'm trying to determine the correct maker of the chain on my 1980 Cruiser 5. I know they used Sedis (the French brand) on Krates... do you think it's possible my 80 Cruiser 5 would have come from the factory with a Sedis chain?

In 1980, Crusier 5s were still being produced in Chicago. Can anyone confirm if it would have come from the factory with a Sedis chain?

Thanks!

The Japanese parts started flowing during this time and to compliment their derailleurs and freewheels some of the chains came from Taiwan. Does your chain have a TYC on it?
Here's the TYC chain.

s-l1600.jpg

One that was pulled off an 81 Varsity. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=172709496049

Last edited:
Back