When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cruiser 5

-

marching_out

Finally riding a big boys bike
Picked this up today. The number on the left dropout is Y6401747 and 1086 on the head badge. It is a Taiwan made Schwinn and therefore should be a Giant built bike. Based on the head badge number, I'm assuming it's an '86. Would this be correct? Can the dropout number be deciphered?
IMG_3594.JPG
IMG_3601.JPG
IMG_3612.JPG
IMG_3610.JPG

IMG_3597.JPG

Looks like a 1986. I have no idea what month the Y designates but the number 6 afterwards is the year. Some Taiwan bikes had the frame date on the right drop out and I've seen this on the lightweights but haven't noticed it on the Cruisers. G for Giant and then the month and year. Jan. 1981 pictured.
1571020720913.png

Picked this up today. The number on the left dropout is Y6401747 and 1086 on the head badge. It is a Taiwan made Schwinn and therefore should be a Giant built bike. Based on the head badge number, I'm assuming it's an '86. Would this be correct? Can the dropout number be deciphered?View attachment 1078375

There is no serial number data base that I am aware of for the Taiwan made bikes. The best you can do is go by the head badge code, and compare it to the catalogs online. But yours is an 86 model......

Back