When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cruiser Deluxe 5 speed

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I believe after the Positron II all the 5 speeds had a thumb shifter. Starting in 84 maybe?

I believe after the Positron II all the 5 speeds had a thumb shifter. Starting in 84 maybe?
My all original 84 Cruiser 5 has the long chrome shifter with the S.. Maybe Cruiser 5 got the thumb shifter in 85??

Does anyone know if any of the 1980 to 1984 Deluxe Cruiser 5 speeds came with a thumb shifter?

Schwinn never made a "Deluxe Cruiser" in a 5 speed during the years you mentioned.

The Deluxe Cruiser was only a single speed and 2 year model for 80 & 81.

The Cruiser 5 model was from 80 to 82, and hand stem mounted Positron shifters.

The 84 Cruiser 5 went to the standard Schwinn stem mounted shifter.

Reactions: mrg
Does anyone know if any of the 1980 to 1984 Deluxe Cruiser 5 speeds came with a thumb shifter?
Far as I know, there's no such thing as a Deluxe Cruiser 5 in the 80,s Not in the 70's too. Maybe in the 90,s which case, the springer, chain guard and frame would not be the same as 80,s.

The Deluxe cruiser did not come in 5 speed. Certainly it's an ad-on option but there's 's no chain guard to match that name. Always wondered why and so, I'd like to see your chain guard. I expect that if you've got one, somebody chopped up some decals and it's not an original screen print. (paint) .

Last edited:
Yeah, That's a Deluxe that was originally single speed. prob 1981and somebody added the 5 , that splains why shifter is not stock and those fenders too. Schwinn didn't make fenders for em. All could have been added as dealer promo, while Schwinn didn't do that dealers were. Tough to tell if that's a 80's springer fork but u can search here for the detail on how. Otherwise it looks in great condition, bery, bery hard to find. I'd give odds, it's a dealer promo or fully soup-ed up for 1st owner.

Last edited:
Most likely a custom build by a bike dealer at a buyers request, or by the owner himself after the original purchase?
You'll never know the answer to that but there are hints. I Don't remember who it is here but he worked for Schwinn dealer then, and makes the claim of adding the fenders, and it's very reasonable and usual for dealers to load ya up with every thing they could off the shelf. . [wink]

You'll never know the answer to that but there are hints. I Don't remember who it is here but he worked for Schwinn dealer then, and makes the claim of adding the fenders, and it's very reasonable and usual for dealers to load ya up with every thing they could off the shelf. . [wink]

I worked for a Schwinn dealer from 77 to 82 in Manhattan Beach, Calif, and we customized all kinds of bikes for our customers at their request. The bike in the pic started out as a Deluxe Cruiser, then someone added the gearing, rear caliper brake, speedometer, rear rack, and the fenders!

Back