When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crunchy bow pedals, how to disassemble and service?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Lookin pretty good. Did you soak them in anything?

Here's a thread that mentions a few ways to get the caps off. I just use a super large blade screwdriver and hammer while standing on the pedal but there's some easy ways mentioned.

Here's a thread that mentions a few ways to get the caps off. I just use a super large blade screwdriver and hammer while standing on the pedal but there's some easy ways mentioned.

Thanks for the links! I’m going to try that.
I soaked them in Evaporust and the sprocket. Then rubbed it with #0000 steel wool for a couple of minutes. now for the grease.

Thank you again @GTs58! Your thread got me where I wanted to be. I have the pedals torn down and ready for the cleaning and greasing they need.

I’m working on a 61 Mark IVJaguar. I’m almost through the disassembly process. It’s time for the cranks and pedals to get attention. The pedals are fairly rusty and very crunchy when spinning. This is the first time I’ve torn a bike down to this level and I am being careful with it.
How can these be broken down, de-rusted, and greased( has to have bearings, right)? And guidance is appreciated. (I searched and did not find an answer before asking here)View attachment 1306015
View attachment 1306017

Good job! I applaud the long-term design features of the Schwinn/Torrington rebuildable pedals that they produced over the years. A pedal
made like that encourages long term service and long life.

Back