When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crusty '38

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

nightrider

Finally riding a big boys bike
1938 model C.
Some of you have seen a few pics of this bike on other threads.
Back story: I spotted this, at a shop, on the side of a road in the hill country of Texas. It was Thanksgiving weekend 2018. The shop was closed, no name or phone number posted. After coming home, decided to try and track a number down. Called a few businesses nearby and found a number. Called the Lady and asked about the bike. She said $80. I told her I wanted it but couldn't pick it up until March. She said ok, I paid her through PP. When I returned 3 1/2 months later, it was still sitting by the road. I went in and told her I am finally here for the bike. She laughed and said " do you know how many people wanted that bike!"

KIMG1269.jpg

So yeah, it's quite crusty. Been sitting in the garden since I brought it home, spring 2019. Started the tear down last November. Not fun! Seat post took 3 weeks to remove. Stem took 2 weeks. Managed to save all hardware except 1 fender bolt. The red color isn't rust, it's red spray paint. Not much og paint left. Wheelset is trash. And fork has rode to hell and back. Upper and lower legs with multiple bends.
Here it is now, cleaned up and partially assembled. Still a little tweaking to do on the fork. I don't have another one to reference, so just making it true. Still working on the seat. Need to round up some grips and pedal parts. Also waiting on the front fender mount( it was missing).
I'll post progress as it comes. And in case you can't tell, or was wondering, this is a patina, (preservation) build.
Thanks for looking,
Johnny

KIMG0351.JPG

I guess I should've posted here instead of the Schwinn forum.
Laced up the fore brake tonight. Was not fun. The slotted spoke holes are a nightmare! Probably easier the more you do. But I don't think I'll come across another one.
Not tensioned or trued yet. I need a break!
Johnny

KIMG0352.JPG

We'll, it looks s little different than the last picture. Laced up the hubs on repop drops with ss spokes. They stick out like a sore thumb! I guess I need to upgrade the chain ring to help them blend in. Found the grips in my stash. Not sure where I got them, or if they are prewar. Fork legs look like crap, but they are true! Still working on the seat, waiting on a pan. Brake lever coming ( not a shorty). Need to figure out a cable.
Not sure about the clay tires. Do they make the bike too monotone? Planning on a black seat cover. And maybe black coke bottle grips. So... should I put black tires on also? What do y'all think?
Johnny
Oh yeah, one of the things I like most about this bike: Check out the repair on the front, lower fender brace. It's the same on both sides. Someone went through a lot of trouble to fix it!

KIMG0355.JPG

KIMG0356.JPG

KIMG0357.JPG

Last edited:
It's your bike...............do what makes YOU happy. Personally I don't think the new rims and stainless spokes look out of place or bad . Same with the tires. You have saved this bike , and that's what matters. Your giving it a new life. Thanks for sharing the story , and the updates on your progress :)

I agree that you should build it to please yourself. But i think it looks pretty sweet like it is, clay tires and all. Nicely done!

Back