When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crusty original x53

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

SteveF

Finally riding a big boys bike
I just picked this one up yesterday. Bought it from the original owner. Time wasn't as nice to it as my other x53. I'm a little torn on which direction to go with this one. Part of me wants to take it apart and remove the rust and see what I have and the other part thinks just a good servicing of all mechanical components would be better. Removing the rust will certainly highlight his flaws but it may also breathe some life back into him. It does ride quite well with the exception of a non existent coaster brake.Thoughts and opinions are certainly welcome.
20200217_181119.jpg

20200217_181139.jpg

20200217_181150.jpg

20200217_181158.jpg

20200217_181209.jpg

Last edited:
IMHO
If you aren't going to clean it, then I would enjoy the acquisition for a short while and then try and sell it to someone who soon will properly clean it. Most of the rust is moderate enough to allow cleaning the chrome nicely and the rust will only rot the bike if left unchecked.

Try citric acid solution and brass hand brushes on chrome before ramping up to steel wool/oil. Some chrome on these bikes is quite thin and easily scratched.

IMHO
If you aren't going to clean it, then I would enjoy the acquisition for a short while and then try and sell it to someone who soon will properly clean it. Most of the rust is moderate enough to allow cleaning the chrome nicely and the rust will only rot the bike if left unchecked.

Try citric acid solution and brass hand brushes on chrome before ramping up to steel wool/oil. Some chrome on these bikes is quite thin and easily scratched.
I've had good success with the citric acid on my other x53. I think I'm going to have to give it a try on this one. I believe that will be the best way to do the tank but I'm a little concerned about the red paint. I discovered how thin the chrome was on these with my other x53. Patience is a virtue when cleaning these. You definitely can't attack with anything too abrasive.

Last edited:
Sorry, that doesn’t seem to fit my Definition of Crusty......looks like surface rust to me. Bet it cleans up nice.
I would agree. Most is surface rust but I can tell there is some chrome loss when I look it over closely. I guess I won't know unless I try though.

I've had good success with the citric acid on my other x53. I think I'm going to have to give it a try on this one. I believe that will be the best way to do the tank but I'm a little concerned about the red paint. I discovered how thin the chrome was on these with my other x53. Patience is a virtue when cleaning these. You definitely can't attack with anything too abrasive.
Indeed, detailing the chrome around the red letters will be a PITA. The devil is always in the details.

Back