When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crusty shelby flyer

-

Durfmeyer

Finally riding a big boys bike
I just picked up this shelby flyer project. Mainly going to get it riding and clean it up a bit. The crappy pics are the only ones I have until I get it here. Can anyone tell me the best way to find out the year? I also believe this bike was red and may consider doing the oxalic soak on it or just wiping it down with oil. Any suggestions or info greatly appreciated. I will update with better pics when able.

Screenshot_20201209-065710.png

Screenshot_20201209-065843.png

The 1/2” pitch chain ring sprocket gives a later period look to the bike.
The letter ”G” and five digits may hint at post war, maybe 1947-G?

Last edited:
Agree with rickyd. I've had red paint turn pink. Rust on your bike doesn't look too bad. I'd just clean as best I can with a rag and WD40 for starters. If need to get more aggressive, maybe WD40 and 0000 steel wool (avoid the pins). Then wax or boiled linseed oil. Nice bike!

Thanks for the info. I've heard the same about it cha going the color red. I'm very anxious to get it. Hoping it will be here next week and I can update some pics.

Back