When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crypto Bantam

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Glen Norcliffe

'Lil Knee Scuffer
This was an obscure British bicycle in the 1890s, the last of the "front drivers". You pedaled a small front wheel with an epicyclic gear (sun and 4 planets) inside it. I am looking for a rear wheel (or the hub of a Crypto Bantam rear wheel) and a pair of type 2 Bantam handlebars.

I'd not heard of these bikes. Very interesting transition bike. For others ignorant like me, fascinating history. ;) https://vintagebicycle.wordpress.com/2014/10/08/crypto-bantam-c-18956-de-restoration/.

Great riding, quirky looking machines and surprisingly fast too.
A friend has one and loves it.
I know he had handlebars custom made/modified for his over here in the UK. I think his example is also a type 2 version.
I could put you in touch with him.if you like; PM me and I can give you his email address.
Your best bet if you need any spares would be to join the UK Veteran-Cycle Club; you can place free wanted ads with them.
On the library site there is a very detailed owners manual from circa 1896 I think.
Said friend recently published an interesting (and complex) article on that front hub gearing in their 'The Boneshaker' magazine.
Here's a link to the club. If you go to the page and scroll down there's a link to join.....

Enjoy your crazy, fun machine.

Great riding, quirky looking machines and surprisingly fast too.
A friend has one and loves it.
I know he had handlebars custom made/modified for his over here in the UK. I think his example is also a type 2 version.
I could put you in touch with him.if you like; PM me and I can give you his email address.
Your best bet if you need any spares would be to join the UK Veteran-Cycle Club; you can place free wanted ads with them.
On the library site there is a very detailed owners manual from circa 1896 I think.
Said friend recently published an interesting (and complex) article on that front hub gearing in their 'The Boneshaker' magazine.
Here's a link to the club. If you go to the page and scroll down there's a link to join.....

Enjoy your crazy, fun machine.
Thank you DNC1. I have been a member of VCC for many years and have an ad in the Newsletter for the said parts. Thank you for suggesting I contact Bob D. I will very soon. Best Glen

We're gonna need a video of that when you get it going! What a stupendous brand name - A "Crypto Bantam" sounds like something Sherlock Holmes would have rode to chase Moriarity through the East End on. And with planetary gears he would have caught him!

That is a Bantam Alpha with the double top tube - a bit larger than the Bantam, and a man's machine whereas the Bantam is often viewed as a ladies machine. It also has type 1 handlebars with that right-angle turn in them. Nice leather clamshell tool bag, too.

View attachment 1386795

Saw this one at a Wheelman event in Conn. about 5 years ago...that guy was moving pretty good on it...
Thank you DNC1. I have been a member of VCC for many years and have an ad in the Newsletter for the said parts. Thank you for suggesting I contact Bob D. I will very soon. Best Glen
Bob D has overtaken me several times on his.
Like I said , surprisingly fast.

Glad to hear you're a member Glen.
Darren.

Back