When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Cushioner" bars; Any Info & Who has them on What?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I haven't removed them yet to try to rejuvenate the rubber but I will try to snap some before & after pics. Maybe even a short video. I want to thank Everyone for sharing what they know and once I remove these I'll post the #s .... maybe we'll see if there's identification vs the steer horn/cruiser type bars

Schwinn didn't mark the bars with numbers if they were 40's or 50's items. I'm thinking the part # stamping on bars started in the 70's or very late 60's. The font on those eBay bars looks later like 60's style.
Since the rubber was not sitting in the elements exposed to UV rays it won't rot out like a car tire. I'd be afraid of squirting it with a silicone or similar product in a situation like this.
Those butterfly bars were seen in the late 50's and early 60's and were shown on a Schwinn in the 1961 or 62 sales catalog on the front page.

Schwinn didn't mark the bars with numbers if they were 40's or 50's items. I'm thinking the part # stamping on bars started in the 70's or very late 60's. The font on those eBay bars looks later like 60's style.
Since the rubber was not sitting in the elements exposed to UV rays it won't rot out like a car tire. I'd be afraid of squirting it with a silicone or similar product in a situation like this.
Those butterfly bars were seen in the late 50's and early 60's and were shown on a Schwinn in the 1961 or 62 sales catalog on the front page.
I can take them off and take pics of what stampings I did see when I was changing over to a modern day aluminum stem if you'd like to see or provide any more assistance/knowledge you may have. Not a Schwinn guy so anything right now is Greatly appreciated since I have 3 Schwinn parts on the Vintage Columbia I do love so much.

The rubber inside looked gray/white & very dried out / crumbly .... I would think alcohol would swell it & the 100% silicone might stop it from drying out without any further deterioration. I don't know but seen it online under different circumstances

Here's the catalog cover page.

1622938591254.png

Back