When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Custom Dana Transmission Shifter

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
That's really cool. I was gonna use a dana for a motorized bike transmission but lost interest. Mainly because of the plastic gears.

Weird how dana over engineered every other part, and then used a crappy bunch of plastic to shift it.

Reactions: TRM
Weird how dana over engineered every other part, and then used a crappy bunch of plastic to shift it.
I agree. I was a little surprised when I took it apart and found the plastic parts. I never did figure out how to disassemble that piece. I was too worried that I would break it and it would be impossible to find a replacement.

My thoughts exactly. I have an NOS one, and figured out (theoretically, on paper) how to mount it as a jackshaft/transmission, worked out how to put a sprocket onto the crankshaft, and while mocking it all up, realized the cables would be too short so the gripshift wouldn't reach. I could make new cables, but I've built a lot of custom motorized bikes, and just knew if I put it all together, shifting it under power would destroy those cheap gears, and the grip shift would strip out eventually. Sooner, not later.

With your set-up, at least for the gear replacement, it looks more plausible.

Sadly, I've had my fill of blowing up cheap chinese motors, and haven't built any in a while.

Very cool bicycle . I restored a 1920s English Sunbeam with a 2 speed gear box in the front sprocket . Thing rides like a dream . As far as stopping with the rod brakes , that's another story

That is way to cool, GEAT mind at work. Love it.
Thanks!
Very cool bicycle . I restored a 1920s English Sunbeam with a 2 speed gear box in the front sprocket . Thing rides like a dream . As far as stopping with the rod brakes , that's another story
The Dana is a very cool novelty, but I certainly wouldn't want one on my daily rider! The gearbox creates a lot of drag. That's probably why it didn't catch on.

Back