When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CWC 3 GILL QUESTION

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

all riders

Finally riding a big boys bike
Can someone tell me when the three-gill tank, with the "comet" pressed into it, first appeared? I am considering putting a tank on my '46 Hawthorne and am trying to figure out which iteration is correct. Thanks.

The first 3 gill was in 1938
I think the comet starred late 38 or early 39 not real sure
Wards the Hawthorne comet in 1940 F/W
The gills in the 3 gill tanks started out large and cut open at the head tube
Later they wear closed at the head tube around 39 /40 and the screws to hold them on was reduced to 3 the left front was eliminated. After that the rear screws was changed to a over size screw that the right side screw screwed into I think late 40’s

[email protected]
1 (209) 481-9464
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can someone tell me when the three-gill tank, with the "comet" pressed into it, first appeared? I am considering putting a tank on my '46 Hawthorne and am trying to figure out which iteration is correct. Thanks.
I have a '39 with the 3 gil comet embossing. I think they carried a version over post war. The horn button changed location pre to post, prewar on top, post war on side.

Let me take pics Jim, it's possibly a '40. Would need to consult Zenmaster Phil's ser# chart. Believe it's badged roadmaster, lit rack with side lights. There is a blue one on Dave's site.

Let me take pics Jim, it's possibly a '40. Would need to consult Zenmaster Phil's ser# chart. Believe it's badged roadmaster, lit rack with side lights. There is a blue one on Dave's site.
I take that back, the one on Dave's site is a three gil bent tank. I'll take pics of mine, it's in house paint, with melted walls.

Back