When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CWC people... I need your opinions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

lgrinnings

I live for the CABE
Howdy folks-

A month back, I picked up a 1936ish Pilot- badged Cleveland Welding Company bent tank bicycle with a “Z” serial number. It was complete save for the rear rack and paisley chain guard. It is overpainted with some of the most stubborn paint I’ve ever come across. I thought I might be able to save the original paint and decals, but no luck. The bike has the small paisley chainring, crescent stainless fenders (under the impossible orange paint), tank with switch and conduit, Delta Hornlight, Delta horn button, drop stand, and everything else (with the exception of rack and guard... I’m not looking forward to trying to find these). This is where a photo of the bike before I disassembled it would come in handy but I don’t have one.

Because I couldn’t save the original paint (black with white/cream head and darts and red pinstripes), I had decided to paint the bike in a reverse scheme (cream with black head and red pinstripes... kind of like that gorgeous Supreme). I just got thrown a curveball when I removed the paint from the tank because there was beautiful chrome underneath (see picture below). Now I don’t know what to do. Too much chrome may not look good with the cream paint. But it seems a shame to paint back over it. I think I am leaning towards painting over it, but I wanted to hear from you folks. The plan is to make this my rider and I have always wanted a cream bike.

Let me know what you think...

Do I keep the chrome?

Do I repaint?

Am I foolish for not going with a factory paint scheme?

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Lester

7AC0B5AB-DCD0-4FAE-8E49-CB1FC6A048DB.jpeg

C33F65FC-0CF3-406B-8788-D88817ED4F28.jpeg

39CC7BD9-DFB5-4979-B0FD-DFA0174321E0.jpeg

Howdy folks-

A month back, I picked up a 1936ish Pilot- badged Cleveland Welding Company bent tank bicycle with a “Z” serial number. It was complete save for the rear rack and paisley chain guard. It is overpainted with some of the most stubborn paint I’ve ever come across. I thought I might be able to save the original paint and decals, but no luck. The bike has the small paisley chainring, crescent stainless fenders (under the impossible orange paint), tank with switch and conduit, Delta Hornlight, Delta horn button, drop stand, and everything else (with the exception of rack and guard... I’m not looking forward to trying to find these). This is where a photo of the bike before I disassembled it would come in handy but I don’t have one.

Because I couldn’t save the original paint (black with white/cream head and darts and red pinstripes), I had decided to paint the bike in a reverse scheme (cream with black head and red pinstripes... kind of like that gorgeous Supreme). I just got thrown a curveball when I removed the paint from the tank because there was beautiful chrome underneath (see picture below). Now I don’t know what to do. Too much chrome may not look good with the cream paint. But it seems a shame to paint back over it. I think I am leaning towards painting over it, but I wanted to hear from you folks. The plan is to make this my rider and I have always wanted a cream bike.

Let me know what you think...

Do I keep the chrome?

Do I repaint?

Am I foolish for not going with a factory paint scheme?

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Lester

View attachment 922729

View attachment 922730

View attachment 922731
And for you G.luck with this project and gooooooo Foward. can't wait to see the pics. From this bike when it done or you finished, best wishes my friend...:):)

I just answered my own question. The other half of the tank isn’t chromed, it’s just bare steel. Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for the help.

the same bike is in my avatar photo ! pieced mine togeather many years ago..so thats what the side cover looks like? made mine out of alum. and never found one for sale! great project enjoy...Richard....

Back