When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CWC Roadmaster Repaint vs. Original

-

SamG

Finally riding a big boys bike
The other day I posted pictures of a $30 find with what turns out to be a '47/'48 Roadmaster designed such to accept a Whizzer motor. Unaware of methods and products available to restore the original paint, I prematurely stripped and repainted the frame a different color (I know I know). I didn't enter this "hobby" with dollar signs in my eyes, but i am somewhat sentimental when it comes to nostalgia and would have preferred to keep original.

Anyway..... This leaves me with a couple of options moving forward. The springer and rear rack have been sanded, but not stripped/repainted. The fenders and chainguard remain untouched.
1) I can rebuild the bike as a "custom" sans fenders, et al keeping them untouched and original in storage for collector's purposes.
2) The damage is done.... Go ahead and repaint the remaining components the new color and rebuild as a complete bike.
3) Repaint my repainted frame attempting to match the original color then reassembling the fenders and chainguard with the original paint.

I do not know value lost or gained by either option, nor do I intend on parting with any of the individual components separating them from the bike. The fenders and crank are specifically designed to accept a motor and should remain with the frame. I am leaning toward options #2 or #3, but wanted to get feedback.

Last edited:
Re-painting any bike comes down to a judgement call sometimes. They're only original once, but after 50 - 100 years it takes a lot of imagination sometimes to picture what's left as original. Some of these bikes will clean up better than you would expect, so it's good to research some of these techniques, but there's no point crying over spilt milk. If it was the only one left it would be one thing, but there's plenty of original paint late '40's CWC's.

I’m glad I asked because I was concerned of being a purist’s nightmare destroying something sacred lol. I was also the kinda biker who would take a ‘47 Harley and build a chopper with extended front end and custom paint lol. I plan to proceed as intended. Perhaps I added a bit of my own history to the bike that somebody else could ponder in another 75 years!!! Now that I know about the Whizzer capabilities, a future possibility is adding the motor and giving it a military theme/tribute.

Last edited:
I have also seen Rust-Oleum’s Kona brown spray paint and it is a slightly darker brown color that hides ugly brown rust fairly well.

In the pictures the R. Chestnut brown looked fairly lighter, (not like the cap on the can), but perhaps only due to indoor lighting?

Last edited:
I have also seen Rust-Oleum’s Kona brown spray paint and it is a darker brown color that hides ugly brown rust fairly well.

In the pictures the R. Chestnut brown looked fairly lighter, (not like the cap on the can), but perhaps only due to indoor lighting?
Yes I agree about the shading/lightness. Although that picture was taken wet and under my garage’s funky daylight bulbs. After cure time and in different light seems to be closer to what the cap looks like

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the Whizzer model or not…

Back