When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CWC Roadmaster Repaint vs. Original

-
So, this time of year, the paint curing time might take a while longer, (including the springer fork parts, that take some handling for assembly).
Look forward to the finished product.

So, this time of year, the paint curing time might take a while longer, (including the springer fork parts, that take some handling for assembly).
Yes it’s a little cooler even here in SC and will take a little longer. The humidity has also been high the past two days putting paint activity on hold. My goal is to have everything primed/painted/cleared this weekend as I have family coming into town next week to occupy my time avoiding the temptation to tinker around. I learned my lesson with the first two bikes a few weeks ago wanting to reassemble only after a couple of days. Simply resting the frame on the hanger rack left marks. Full cure can take several weeks. Rustoleum has a 1/48 rule where if you cannot apply within 1 hour, then wait 48 hours before applying the next. Otherwise they cure at different rates and WILL wrinkle. I found that out!!! Be creative when planning and organizing your activities. I try to map out procedures such to have “mini projects” during those waiting periods. Paint the frame… while the frame cures prep the smaller components, etc….

Last edited:
Here’s a picture of the frame this morning. Not quite Kona brown, but a bit deeper than the picture I took the other day. Still a little lighter than I envisioned, but I will go with it. I will apply clear today conditions permitting.
NOTE: the oven serves no purpose beyond providing a white background for the photo. I’m not curing the frame on broil setting!!!
93C9DD63-A673-4D2C-8D6B-1127FE0162B0.jpeg

Last edited:
Most importantly you saved an old timer and gave it new life. You are doing one heck of a fine job and she will look outstanding once completed.
This is my late December 1958 frame brought back from a decrepit stage. I rattle canned it with Rustoleum, wet sanded and polished it to a glass smooth finish. I’m glad I rescued it from becoming scrap metal.

Last edited:
Most importantly you saved an old timer and gave it new life. You are doing one heck of a fine job and she will look outstanding once completed.
This is my December 1958 frame brought back from a decrepit stage. I rattle canned it with Rustoleum, wet sanded and polished it to a glass smooth finish. I’m glad I rescued it from becoming scrap metal.

View attachment 1735964
Thank you for saying that!!! That is the way I feel about it. Brought life back to a classic!!! If somebody brought me back to life, I'd want a new wardrobe instead of the clothes I was wearing 40 years ago!!! Well... maybe a few concert shirts from back then lol!!!
EDIT: I meant that yours is a beautiful bike and nicely done!!! One thing I regret is not getting the decals, etc.... the make such a difference. Do you clear coat over top of the decal?

Last edited:
Back