When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CWC Seatpost Questions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Krakatoa

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Does anyone know about what year CWC changed to a straight solid 5/8" inch post as opposed to a Lucky 7?

In a related question does anyone know about what year they dropped the two shims and just had a standard 5/8" opening in the seat clamp?

I'm guessing it happened late pre-war but I'm not positive, looking for more definitive information.

Thanks in advance,

Nate VT
401-548-9082

Guessing '41? This '41 had a straight 5/8" seatpost sans shims.

full?d=1455847407.jpg

Very confusing topic for sure in regards to the no shim question. I can't stand the shims!!!!

Here is a 38 standard model with a SN of D14XXX WithOut shims
20230403_111000.jpg

IMG_20230403_112113.jpg

Here is a 38 Supreme model with a SN of D37XXX With shims..
20230403_110824.jpg

IMG_20230403_112205.jpg

Actually I think this helps and everybody's input is worthwhile. I'm just looking at what's coming so far and you can too with the serial number chart. I'll try to compile some observations and post them once I've had a chance to study.

I guess what we'd be looking for would be the earliest examples of a shim less bike. Also if shim less and shimmed bikes existed in the same model year. It's very possible there was an overlap. And is there a year or time point after which shim type bikes cease to show up?

It may be more difficult to determine and likely less important when the straight seat post came into play but interesting nonetheless. Since it's an independent part we'd probably want to rely on data from the most original examples.

FB_IMG_1680581347742.jpg

My ‘39 4 gill had a lucky 7 post and shims. I can’t remember if the ‘53 (which I got from you) has shims but can check if
you like

Back