When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cycle Truck Basket Question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Further note - I just saw a '67 frame for sale with the nut for the big basket - almost broke my promise to myself. Only one more CT frame I'm looking for and I promised myself not to buy any other ones until that one comes along.

The earliest one I've seen with the nut is my all original '41. I've seen a 20" frame with a nut too, and they were only made through pre-war.
REC

The day you stop saving CT's is the day that I'll stop eating Taco Bell, Roland. I'm currently working on a '41. =] Do either of your 39's have the frame nut for the large basket? I believe that the hardest part of all of this will be finding myself a small basket. Especially, an original. I remember you and I spoke about baskets and the prices that you've paid for them. I am still picking my jaw up from the floor.

Schwinn cycle truck 1940 (2).jpg
SCHWINN CYCLE TRUCK 1940.JPG

The day you stop saving CT's is the day that I'll stop eating Taco Bell, Roland. I'm currently working on a '41. =] Do either of your 39's have the frame nut for the large basket? I believe that the hardest part of all of this will be finding myself a small basket. Especially, an original. I remember you and I spoke about baskets and the prices that you've paid for them. I am still picking my jaw up from the floor.

Neither of the '39s have the large one. I have one of the correct large baskets sitting here waiting for the right frame to show itself. It's just moping around for now in a big a$$ box....
Small baskets are out there. Keep an eye peeled and one will run across your path. I am holding on to what I have in hopes of finding victims to use them on, or should I need to replace one of mine. I'm down to one bike to rebuild (has a large basket on it), and 2 frames (CT1) left to re-do, and have the right stuff for those two... and a couple of extras.

Stop eating Taco Bell? That would be a crime against nature. #16 in the morning and you're good for the whole day! (Hmmmm... I am off today!?!?)

REC

Neither of the '39s have the large one. I have one of the correct large baskets sitting here waiting for the right frame to show itself. It's just moping around for now in a big a$$ box....
Small baskets are out there. Keep an eye peeled and one will run across your path. I am holding on to what I have in hopes of finding victims to use them on, or should I need to replace one of mine. I'm down to one bike to rebuild (has a large basket on it), and 2 frames (CT1) left to re-do, and have the right stuff for those two... and a couple of extras.

Stop eating Taco Bell? That would be a crime against nature. #16 in the morning and you're good for the whole day! (Hmmmm... I am off today!?!?)

REC

Haha. Love how you say it's moping around. Poor thing is just waiting to be put to work.

Very nice. Sounds like you've got enough to keep ya busy!

Were the baskets offered with lids only a short number of years? I have seen some of the old ads where the 39 has a cool lid on it. Wondering if those are harder to find than say an open basket...? Also, I saw the basket or basket lid referred to as a hasp? Could be misspelled on that. Is the hasp itself the basket, or the lid, or the entire unit?

Mmmm...taco bell.

Haha. Love how you say it's moping around. Poor thing is just waiting to be put to work.

Very nice. Sounds like you've got enough to keep ya busy!

Were the baskets offered with lids only a short number of years? I have seen some of the old ads where the 39 has a cool lid on it. Wondering if those are harder to find than say an open basket...? Also, I saw the basket or basket lid referred to as a hasp? Could be misspelled on that. Is the hasp itself the basket, or the lid, or the entire unit?

Mmmm...taco bell.

The ones with lids (originals) are somewhat hard to find. I have had a couple of lids that were repro's and have let them go. I have an original complete with a lid still here. It's an early one and the lid and basket are a dark green color. The "hasp" is built onto the basket - it's a looped over the upper frame, drop wire that goes down the front a few inches and makes a larger loop the lid "latch" folds down and loops over. A lock can be used to secure the lid for contents safety. I don't know that I have a photo of this one with the lid on it, but did find the photo without.

Bskt - lid.jpg

You can see the hasp on the front. The lid hooks onto the rear upper rail and folds down to close, then the "latch" folds down over the hasp...
Edit: This is one of the "box-dwellers" awaiting a re-do.
REC

Back