When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cycle Truck rear fender reflector question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Danny the schwinn freak

cruisin on my ratty Schwinn straightbar
Hello. I’m hoping someone can post a nice rear view picture of the correct rear fender mounted reflector for a 57 cycle truck. My project CT has a hole in the rear fender for one, but I can’t find a good reference pic for what it should look like. I will also be in the market to buy one once I figure out what it looks like. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer. Danny

has a 1&3/4 reflector, and the ones I found online (few and far between) also have the same. The two Ross examples have 1 2&1/4 and a 1&3/4 and are both '57 models. I'll try a different angle in the morning.
REC
Part # 5814 shows to be:
THIS IS A STAMPED SCHWINN REAR FENDER REFLECTOR. IT STAMPED STIMSONITE, SCHWINN. THIS SCHWINN APPROVED DELUXE REFLECTOR IS JUST ASTONISHING, BIG SIZE OF 3 1/4 INCH WIDE. USED ON SCHWINN PHANTOMS AND MANY OTHERS, QUALITY MADE WITH NUTS / STUD. IT'S COMPLETE AND WAS NEVER USED ON A BIKE, CAN BE USED ON GO CARTS, BICYCLES, MOTOR CYCLES, BOATS AND OTHERS, STAMPED SCHWINN AND STIMMSONITE. GREAT FOR SCHWINN, AUTO CYCLE, PHANTOM, PANTHER, HORNET, B-6 AND MANY OTHERS AND CAN BE USED ON MOST BIKES OF MANY BRANDS OF BICYCLES.

I wouldn't swear this is correct info.
REC

has a 1&3/4 reflector, and the ones I found online (few and far between) also have the same. The two Ross examples have 1 2&1/4 and a 1&3/4 and are both '57 models. I'll try a different angle in the morning.
REC
Part # 5814 shows to be:
THIS IS A STAMPED SCHWINN REAR FENDER REFLECTOR. IT STAMPED STIMSONITE, SCHWINN. THIS SCHWINN APPROVED DELUXE REFLECTOR IS JUST ASTONISHING, BIG SIZE OF 3 1/4 INCH WIDE. USED ON SCHWINN PHANTOMS AND MANY OTHERS, QUALITY MADE WITH NUTS / STUD. IT'S COMPLETE AND WAS NEVER USED ON A BIKE, CAN BE USED ON GO CARTS, BICYCLES, MOTOR CYCLES, BOATS AND OTHERS, STAMPED SCHWINN AND STIMMSONITE. GREAT FOR SCHWINN, AUTO CYCLE, PHANTOM, PANTHER, HORNET, B-6 AND MANY OTHERS AND CAN BE USED ON MOST BIKES OF MANY BRANDS OF BICYCLES.
View attachment 1175820
I wouldn't swear this is correct info.
REC
Thank you for the info. It’s a great start!

The #10 1-3/4" Stimsonite was used on many of the Schwinn models thru the years and this one was also on my 1958 Corvette and the newer versions were used thru the 60's. Had one on my 64 Varsity back in the day. Info in post #8.

The #10 1-3/4" Stimsonite was used on many of the Schwinn models thru the years and this one was also on my 1958 Corvette and the newer versions were used thru the 60's. Had one on my 64 Varsity back in the day. Info in post #8.
Awesome, thank you!

Thank you for the info. It’s a great start!
The info posted there was found on a web search, and is atttributed to Bicycle Heaven. It may or may not be on the money. For a fact, I've not had one come through here with the 3 & 1/4" reflector on the rear at any time. The USPO Dept bikes ('46 and '52) I bought had the 1 & 3/4" reflectors on them, though the earlier of those two only had the housing remaining with no trace of a lens. They both still had what appeared to be the original fenders that looked as though they were down for the count.
This is the '57 when I bought it:

No photo of the rear showing the area the reflector mounting area, but obviously it was not there at this time.
This is the end result: (has a 1 & 3/4 one that is green and has the dimples in the surface, clearly not OE!)

Different angle:

As is the case frequently around here, this was built back up into what I had in my head to begin with - in this case, was going for a "Rat Fink" version, but my striper passed away before I could get the "Rat Fink" applied. He was a great guy with a huge talent, and was a great friend as well.

REC

Wow, I love the green one!! Beautifully bikes and great info as always from you. Thank you so much. Since mine is missing the guard, I’m going to run the small one like the one on your green one. I needed to see that pic to inspire me, thank you!

I was still looking into the reflector..... The number I found last night was incorrect. From a reference of part number listings used per the catalog parts references, the correct number is 5614. As of yet, I haven't found a part description. Thanks for the complements on my '57. I still find no rear photos other than a couple that show the 1 & 3/4" size. I'll keep looking but I think the size is right at 1 & 3/4".

Back