When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cycle Trucks- Post’em!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

RustyHornet

I live for the CABE
I keep digging and can’t find a thread for just Cycle Truck pictures! Would love a reference thread to just poke around in and look at pictures for inspiration or to see what parts might be correct.

Currently working on my 1939, trying to salvage the original paint. I can’t find any pictures of another green with red pins! The frame is green too, but taking much more effort to reveal…

IMG_6705.jpeg

IMG_2098.jpeg

I just picked mine up a couple weeks ago. Looks to have had some clean up or braising repairs to the frame. I’ve got lots of questions:

1. Are the wheels/rims on the Cycle Truck I have original?
2. Should the wheels/rims instead be drop center style for a ‘39 dated Cycle Truck?
3. Is the brighter shade of yellow paint the original color?
4. What are the dimensions and thickness of the plywood base that fits under the basket?
5. Did all Cycle Trucks come with and include the plywood base?
6. What style of headbadge is correct for a ‘39 Cycle Truck? (Mine is missing the headbadge)
7. What are the correct tires to use on a Cycle Truck? (Schwinn Typhoon 26x2.125 and Typhoon 20x2.125 brick pattern?)

2AA2B2AC-2FA0-4280-B1E4-F052B92BE288.jpeg

3A36221C-29A6-48C9-AEA4-F192712C9682.jpeg

D583D43E-9D09-451E-8488-611E8020EAD9.jpeg

I just picked mine up a couple weeks ago. Looks to have had some clean up or braising repairs to the frame. I’ve got lots of questions:

1. Are the wheels/rims on the Cycle Truck I have original?
2. Should the wheels/rims instead be drop center style for a ‘39 dated Cycle Truck?
3. Is the brighter shade of yellow paint the original color?
4. What are the dimensions and thickness of the plywood base that fits under the basket?
5. Did all Cycle Trucks come with and include the plywood base?
6. What style of headbadge is correct for a ‘39 Cycle Truck? (Mine is missing the headbadge)
7. What are the correct tires to use on a Cycle Truck? (Schwinn Typhoon 26x2.125 and Typhoon 20x2.125 brick pattern?)

View attachment 1818341

View attachment 1818352

View attachment 1818342
Nice Truck! You have a great start, with some of the more difficult parts still on your bike. Cycle Trucks were an industrial model for Schwinn. IMO, they did not get the latest new part that came out. It could be hard to say exactly what and when they made a changeover to the new parts. I'm sure they used up what they had of the old part before they switched over to the new part style. I say all of this because I think the Trucks lagged behind the production changes seen on the regular model production.

#1, #2, I think the general consensus is the drop center rim was prewar, and the S-2 Tubular rim was post-war. Both styles work just fine. If your looking for a 20" balloon rim, the hard part is finding one with a 36 hole drilling. Depending on how you want to rebuild your Truck, the vintage BMX guys have some nice anodized aluminum 36 hole 20x1.75 Araya rims that work great with a 2.125 tire. You can find matching 7X Araya 26" cruiser rims to the BMX 20" versions.

#3 Colors. The Trucks were a custom order, custom built model. You (the dealer) could order they with many options, and in any standard Schwinn color. Keep in mind the yellow Truck in your photo is not a picture of a real truck, but an artist drawing. I would not use that color as a sample. Use the standard Schwinn model colors for the year you determine your bike was built. All the trucks were hand brazed, and crudely I might add. They were just industrial models, the job number one was "not to break", "looking good" was secondary. I'm sure you could come to the conclusion that your bike had some repairs, but I'd bet that the way it looked originally.

#4, #5 Plywood Dimentions. They made two basket sizes, a Large basket, and a Small basket, and the plywood bases were sized to the basket, which was different. Yours is a small basket model. I believe it was 1/2" plywood, which today is 12 to 13mm plywood since it's all imported.

#6 They had several Cycle Truck unique embossed name badges. They were pretty cool. I believe they have been reproduced over the years, so figure out which style you want and make your choice. The last Cycles Trucks made in the 1960's used a normal Schwinn Model name plate.

#7 The Typhoon Tires were the standard tire. Note, they were not very good quality when they were new (Carlisle Rubber). You have many choices today. Black side wall. or White side wall, Brick tread, or Knobby. If your building it to ride, use some decent tires, and don't pay a bundle to buy the vintage correct NOS part that will snake at a low air pressure.

Sorry I did not answer your production date question, but somebody will chime in.

John

Thanks @Schwinn Sales West
I believe the rims on my Cycle Truck are Lobdell, the precursor to the Schwinn S2. I have these same rims on a 40 DX, just wasn’t sure if the prewar Cycle Trucks “always” came with drop centers. The rear hub is a New Departure 2-speed and the front looks to be a Bendix (haven’t confirmed).
I’m pretty sure the head badges were specific to certain years. There’s one I have my eye on.

AB91EDE0-3898-454D-9EC0-246DA62C5272.jpeg

7814D57B-3913-4F35-B51B-CC94ECFE77C2.jpeg

62B1B6E0-F887-48E3-B288-616F75EFCA2E.png

Thanks @Schwinn Sales West
I believe the rims on my Cycle Truck are Lobdell, the precursor to the Schwinn S2. I have these same rims on a 40 DX, just wasn’t sure if the prewar Cycle Trucks “always” came with drop centers. The rear hub is a New Departure 2-speed and the front looks to be a Bendix (haven’t confirmed).
I’m pretty sure the head badges were specific to certain years. There’s one I have my eye on.

View attachment 1818611

View attachment 1818612

View attachment 1818613
In the photo, that badge "looks flattened", is that the photo, or is it flattened?

I see Cycle Truck badges for sale regularly. It's a combination of not many on the supply side, but really how many people are actually looking for "a missing" Cycle Truck badge? Be patient and a nicely enameled one will pop up and be in your price range. It won't stop you from riding it.

John

I’m not sure if the painted rims carried over into the postwar years, but the prewar Cycle Trucks, seemed to always have cream colored rims regardless of the frame color.

A00C1718-5F2F-4C71-A8CF-CC882F54AB4F.jpeg

ED854D18-6A8A-4F2D-98EA-DD6169C80C70.jpeg
This Cycle Truck has an H prefix serial number, which would suggest a 1941 model.
But, the use of blackout trim leads me to believe that it was built and sold in 1942.

Back