When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cycletruck heavy duty front hub removal

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

57deluxe

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I am building a cycle truck, and I don't know how to get the heavy duty front wheel and hub loose from the fork. Can somebody please help me figure this out.

It's a little bit of a pain ' either unscrew the axel all the way out and drop the wheel out {bitch #1 } or, pull the fork on one side and slip it over the axel { bitch #2 } or, cut the closed end fork {bitch #3 }

One of the most valuable tools in my arsenal, is a fork/stay spreader from Hozan.
It saves so much frustration on closed fork ends or fitting the wider axles of multi speed hubs to rear drop outs.
I know, this won’t do you much good at the moment, but I highly recommend the purchase of this tool.
You will not regret it.

Here is the front hub

20190310_101119.jpg

Wow, whole lot of fork spreading to get it over that axle. Looks like removing the axle is the one way ticket on this one. How can one tell if it's a knock out axle? Where is @REC

It would be good to see the rest the whole bike as that looks a lot like a postwar fork there. I have one with the same front hub and it was a pain to get the wheel off and then back on. Took the outer nuts off, then moved the axle as far to one side as possible (due to unthreaded section at mid-axle) and then spread the fork leg over the end of the axle. NOT fun, and took some time but got it done.
Sorry, I was taking a nap at the computer....
Show me what you have!!
Thanks.
REC

Mine:
before
008.jpg

after
IMG_2731.JPG

I was going to try and double or triple nut one end of the axle and spin it out.

I like the idea of spreading the axle and I could probably figure out a way with the tools I have, but I would be worried about bending the forks because they are 20" and not 26" and don't have as much flex to give.

I would probably end up just cutting the ends of the fork once I get them out this time for ease of maintaining them.

I just wanted to make sure that I was not missing an easy way of doing this.

I was able to double nut the axle on one end, juggle the wheel and two spanners in one hand and turn the double nutted axle end with a wrench with the other hand. Post war fork, so I had to take the drop stand off too. Spread the fork end off one side, then reset with the double axle trick on the opposite side. Lot of work to get a front wheel off. Do most just notch the end like a normal fork? I can't see why for my intended use I need the extra security of a closed axle fork hole.

I've not notched one yet, (16 of them on hand) however, this particular hub is a booger! I have a bunch with the sliding axle and have only had this issue with a couple that had jam nuts on both sides inside the fork legs.
Still want to see the whole bike when you can.
REC
PS:
You still spread the fork legs a little even when sliding the axle around. They were made that way. I don't have one of those fancy tools though. My method is a bit more primitive, but works the same way. The easiest fix is to get a fully threaded axle and use it in place of the one that has an unthreaded middle section about an inch or so long. Double nutting the axle to put it in or take it out works great then, and very minimal spreading is necessary.

Last edited:
Back