When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cyclist's War Memorial

-

Mercian

I live for the CABE
Hi All,

Near where I was born in the UK is a village called Meriden. on the green there is The National Cyclist's War Memorial. I've known it all my life, but it suddenly occurred to me that I'd not seen it here. So, for you delectation:

Meriden-cyclist-memorial-today.jpg

Meriden-cyclist-memorial-detail.jpg

Photo Credits: Rachael Marsay

Meriden is the geographic cetre of England (more or less), so a goos place for a National Memorial, originally built to remember those cyclists who died in World War One.

The memorial was unveiled by the then Lord Chancellor, Lord Birkenhead, on 21st May 1921 and the inauguration attended by over 20,000 people. Since then there has been a service of remembrance held in May every year when a few hundred cyclists make their way to Warwickshire to pay their respects.

This year it will be on 21st May

Although the Army Cycle Corps employed cyclists as scouts and messengers, the 32-ton, Cornish granite obelisk honours all cyclists who died in the Great War. In 1963 a bronze plaque was added to commemorate cyclists who died in World War Two.

Purchased with donations from cyclists all over the country, including one from Edward VIII (then Prince of Wales) who auctioned his own bike to raise money, the Cornish granite obelisk was placed in Meriden to give the nation’s bike riders an equal opportunity to visit. It was awarded Grade II Listed status in 2001.

Information from here:

Best Regards,

Adrian

Back