When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

D&J hanger

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Yeah, this is not the eccentric hanger.
4fa29611cd1d4c55a5ac825655284f0fpng-1.jpg

Here's a good explanation on how the D & J hanger works:
DampJ1899-1.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Carlton, you mentioned that D&J pre-dates Racycle, when did they start?

Ward

Sorry Chris, it's a totally different design. The D & J is self-contained, bearings are inside the sleeve. Slides easily inside the bottom bracket for any quick adjustments.
After more review of your ads and pictures, I don't see how " it's a totally different design. The D & J is self-contained, bearings are inside the sleeve". My bottom bracket is also "self-contained, bearings are inside the sleeve" and it "Slides easily inside the bottom bracket for any quick adjustments." In addition, I do not see the need to remove the bottom bracket to make adjustments. Bottom bracket adjustments are done better in the frame with the crank in place so that the crank can be turned and wiggled while adjusting the bearings. Furthermore, this design, as compared to the normal American 2" bottom brackets does not allow as many bearings, as a result it will not run as smooth and last as long. The main advantage of the smaller (European) bottom brackets is that they are lighter than the larger American bottom brackets. Comparing one piece to two piece to three piece cranks, steel vs. aluminum, is another topic to consider. I do not yet know who made my crankset and bottom bracket, it might be made by Thor.

Happy New Year!

D&J Hanger on 1903 model 35 E R Thomas Auto-bi MotorCycle

I found that my 1903 E R Thomas Auto- Bi Motorcycle Has A D&J Hanger
jefferson 2011 258.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0021.jpg
thomas 030.jpg
i

Hey Carlton, you mentioned that D&J pre-dates Racycle, when did they start?

Ward

From what I've read and researched, the early Racycle hanger design had many similarities to the W.E. Smith patent design of 1888.

ScreenShot20131008at111715PMpng-1.jpg

Over the next few years, Smith’s hanger became an industry’s standard. Smith assigned his rights to H.S. Owen. By 1897, Owen (now, the sole proprietor) began legal actions against “all” bike makers for patent infringements…most notably one of the largest; the Pope Mfg.Co.

ScreenShot20131020at61033AMpng-1.jpg

To avoid being named as a defendant in the law suit, many manufacturers pursued alternative designs…including D&J.

ScreenShot20131029at82803AMpng-1.jpg

Being a rather shrewd businessman, Pope amassed a roster of bicycle companies and sundries makers and consolidating them into one entity; the American Bicycle Company to collectively fight this lawsuit. With this unity he was able to allocate dollars from each company, thus in turn, acquiring the Smith patent from Owen in the name of A.B.C.

a8ef2d1f71604aca835e51fee5ef10a3png-1.jpg

In 1904, Colonel Pope, a litigious pursuer with an iron fist, turned around and sued every company not a member of the newly formed A.B.C. trust for infringing on the Smith patent...demanding royalties for ever bicycle made before 1887!

Several large manufacturers were in Pope's cross-hairs, most notably the Miami Cycle Mfg. Co. Toledo Metal Wheels Co., and Crosby Mfg. (subsequently Crosby buys out a Pope Manufacturing concern in 1905).

Pope’s pursuit against the Miami Co., was much the news at the turn of the century (14 years in litigation) before a settlement was rendered by the end of 1905.

After the settlement with Miami, Pope chased another 77 manufacturers. Conclusion: Pope received a $10 royalty on every bicycle manufactured...for 5 years!

ScreenShot20131015at84210AM-1.jpg

Chris,

It’s hard to discern and compare your crankset without photos?

Regarding my quote "Slides easily inside the bottom bracket for any quick adjustments." Perhaps I should have said “alignment”? The ease of popping in a cartridge in a bottom bracket, versus assembling the bearing cups, bearings, cranks nuts & cones, etc., was a huge and expeditious advantage to any manufacturer or mechanic in assembling their wheels.

Furthermore, this design, as compared to the normal American 2" bottom brackets does not allow as many bearings, as a result it will not run as smooth and last as long.
There were a lot of bottom bracket R&D explorations between 1898-1905. Many manufacturers were provoked to explore new designs due to the pending 14 year Bottom Bracket law suit. Besides there were several manufacturers that offered different bearing sizes…plus there wasn’t a standard until after the A.B.C. bottom bracket lawsuit, when standardizing became prevalent amongst the bicycle consortium!

The main advantage of the smaller (European) bottom brackets is that they are lighter than the larger American bottom brackets.
Everyone used the smaller bottom bracket until after the A.B.C. lawsuit of 1905...the Smith/Owen patent had no reach in Europe.

BottomBracket-1.jpg

Back