When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dad's 1938 Schwinn

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man.... I had no idea this kind of money for that bike. But that's what learning is all about I guess.

People are eager to throw a high price out but when it's time to sell it for these high prices you'll find there are very few to no people willing to step up and pay these prices. If you really want to find a good price on something, advertise to crap out of it and throw it on EBay with either a really high reserve so it doesn't sell ( if your only looking for value ) or put it on EBay with a low starting bid and no reserve. ( If you are trying to sell it )
It's like people want to throw out these high prices to keep others from buying it.
Do these same people go to garage sales or estate sales and see a bike for sale and tell the seller Hey your bike is worth $3,000?

People are eager to throw a high price out but when it's time to sell it for these high prices you'll find there are very few to no people willing to step up and pay these prices. If you really want to find a good price on something, advertise to crap out of it and throw it on EBay with either a really high reserve so it doesn't sell ( if your only looking for value ) or put it on EBay with a low starting bid and no reserve. ( If you are trying to sell it )
It's like people want to throw out these high prices to keep others from buying it.
Do these same people go to garage sales or estate sales and see a bike for sale and tell the seller Hey your bike is worth $3,000?
I think my price was pretty spot on....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I think my price was pretty spot on....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

$1800 is exactly where I had this one pegged. Like others have said though given the family history I'd just keep it. If you decide to ride it put modern tires on it and save those Centipede Grips which are worth some coin as well. Good luck regardless. V/r Shawn

Well that's an interesting take. So the Cabe should be a place for the uninformed to come and get uninformed or purposely incorrect information? Your garage sale analogy doesn't make sense to me - they typically aren't asking about the value at the garage sale, the price has been determined by the seller and if under market value then as a buyer you win. If the price was not set and the garage seller asked my opinion then yes, I would give my honest valuation based on my opinion and experiences and make what I feel is a fair offer if I was an interested buyer. But that's me, I believe in karma and feel that I have been paid back for it in spades over the years.

This thread was started by someone looking for information, value, and a good home for the bike. There was misinformation given for whatever reason that was addressed by those more knowledgeable. I concur on the $1600-1800 range as full retail, but jkent rightfully reminds us all that the true value is what someone is actually willing to pay for it.

If I didn't already have a BA67, or this one was blue, I would probably and happily fork over $1600 for it.

Is there more than one style of prewar brake lever called a shorty lever ?

There were 3 levers - "shorty" 37-mid/late 38 lever, then the big fat "Webb" brake lever shown on this bike until mid to late 40, then the slender handled non-scripted lever that became the scripted version seen on postwar bikes.

Each lever had a different cable setup, finding the correct one can be tough.

strange mix of parts on this one..post 1937 badge, flat fender braces, early stem, fork has drain holes I thought those were used in 1940 1941...early persons rear fender reflector....great survivor

Yeah, I like bikes like this because they remind us all that "catalog correct" wasn't always what was pushed out the factory door. Also, there was a parts catalog for a reason - forks got bent, racks got added, fore brakes and springers were purchased later. So seeing one like this "as is" with provenance is very cool. Plus, most of the bikes I see in the vintage photos have modifications. For instance that 38 safety video on the YouTubes - almost every bike has a front basket on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back