When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dads bike under way

-

DaveZ

Look Ma, No Hands!
Started on my fathers bike he got when he was a kid. 28" Shelby; he says it was a Shelby. Dismantled, removed paint and so far had to make a new bearing race for the fork.

Dads bike.jpg

Dads bike1.jpg

Dads bike4.jpg

Dads bike5.jpg

Great project and nice job on the bearing race. You might want to check the steerer tube for any curvature. The wear on the old race is uneven and it looks like you have an uneven gap between the top bearing cup and the threaded top race. Just put a straight edge against the steerer tube.

Thanks! Yes I did that already. Pops really tightened up that stem. It took me about two hours of reshaping to get the broken race off and get the tube straight again. Well worth it though. Today I primed everything.

You may not come up with that badge that was on your father's bike. Although I am positive someone here can hook you up with the correct. Best of luck and keep us posted on the project.

Primed everything an took a picture of some things to note. The headbadge holes are 1 7/8 inch across and the right hand hole is a 1/4 inch higher then the left and the serial number is H 37543. Any guesses? I don;t see any Shelby pictures with a badge that would be horizontal mount in those dimensions. Westfield maybe, but even those I don't see.

Neck.jpg

I know the Mead Cycle Company had badges with holes like that. Badges like Ranger, Pathfinder, Crusader, Lincoln, etc.

What did the 'Lindberg' Shelby badge look like... about 1928? That seat post bolt hole sure looks Shelby....

Back