When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dads Shelby project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Kevin LeRoy

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hey everyone,
So, I've been working on dads Shelby. I'm waiting on some parts for the rear hub so I decided today to strip off the 37 year old paint job I did back when I was a teen. I have the frame down to bare metal and I was noticing that a lot of the brazed joints are fairly rough, not poor or damaged just lumpy. Not having a lot of experience restoring bikes I was just wondering if this is a normal thing? Also, as to restoring I wanted to get some thoughts on what others do on their projects? Do you grind joints smooth, or fill them or just leave them the way they are? Any thoughts or ideas are always welcome, thanks!!
Kevin

Here are some pics,
002.JPG
002.JPG
001.JPG
006.JPG
003.JPG
005.JPG

I leave the factory welds/brazing alone. Get the frame clean, hit it with a good etching primer, do your body work (fill dings), prime, and finish with a sealer primer before paint. For paint I always use a single stage paint because the factory never used base coat/clear coat but hey its your bike. V/r Shawn

Back