When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dana 3 Speed "Jockey Shift"

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Re-Cyclist

Finally riding a big boys bike
Last spring I picked up a home built custom "chopper" style 26" bike at an automotive swap meet. The builder had adapted a three speed stick shift built by Dana which works directly off the crank (internal gearing). I've heard these referred to as "Jockey Shifters". Is anyone familiar with these? When, and on what were they used? The bike is quite awkward to ride, but cool to look at. I'd be interested in any information on these. Thanks.

I'll have some soon. Hopefully the weather breaks this weekend and I can get it out. It's in a garage with a couple of cars in front of it.

I'm looking forward to seeing the picture. At the risk of stating the obvious- the term "Jockey shift" is borrowed from the chopper/bobber school of custom motorcycling. The older Harley Davidson motorcycles came with a pedal operated clutch, and a gear shift lever mounted on the left side of the tank. A lot of folks eliminated the tank mounted shift linkage, and put the shift lever directly on the transmission. Shifting gears meant taking the left hand off the bars, and reaching down below the seat in a manner similar to a jockey applying a riding crop to the flank of his horse. Combine that with the fine tradition of eliminating the front brake,:eek: and "suicide shift" becomes a more than apt description.

JWM

Back