When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Datin' a Dayton (Davis Sewing Machine Co)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

tailhole

I live for the CABE
I picked this up recently. I couldn't find a serial number. It's a 28" tire Davis built Dayton frame. I was hoping someone could help date it. I was thinking of putting this 30 tooth crank on it, but it looks like it might rub the frame. Not sure, no cups. Looking for the cups, proper crank setup, Dayton ring, etc. Thank you in advance for any help, info or advice.
*Last photo added on 6/25/2013, went for a test ride this Sunday, broke steer tube, it's going to be repaired shortly...

WP_20130607_029-1.jpg

WP_20130607_031-1.jpg

WP_20130608_018-1.jpg

SaveInputImage14-1.jpg

Last edited:
Photo of bottom bracket, no numbers

I couldn't see any indication of a serial number. This is the very bottom of the bottom bracket/crank hanger. Looks like it was originally blue. Any thoughts?

WP_20130620_004-1.jpg

Last edited:
CONGRATULATIONS !!! ........... It's A YALE !!!!!

THE YALE was produced using a Dayton frame ... the only other line of Davis Bicycles to do so.
The fork is a YALE fork.

I used Paint.Net to sharpen the foto of the bottom bracket. A lack of serial numbers is fairly
common with Davis-built rides. The fork is correct for a YALE. In addition, the YALE has been
observed sporting a Dayton fork and also the very-common Davis 3-plate honeycomb crown fork.

........... patric cafaro

WP_20130620_004.jpg
$(KGrHqUOKm4E557bo6B2BOidvuDItg~~60_3.jpg
$(KGrHqQOKkQE5W1hrfkVBOid)7nIZQ~~60_3.jpg
$(KGrHqEOKnIE5t!Gmc1hBOid)qWSbg~~60_3.jpg

WP_20130620_004.jpg

$(KGrHqUOKm4E557bo6B2BOidvuDItg~~60_3.jpg

$(KGrHqQOKkQE5W1hrfkVBOid)7nIZQ~~60_3.jpg

$(KGrHqEOKnIE5t!Gmc1hBOid)qWSbg~~60_3.jpg

Last edited:
what bike.....I can't get over how tidy your workspace is!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mine looks like a garbage dump exploded.
Kool chainwheel!

Yale

THE YALE was produced using a Dayton frame ... the only other line of Davis Bicycles to do so.
The fork is a YALE fork. The YALE has also been observed with a common, Davis

I used Paint.Net to sharpen the foto of the bottom bracket. A lack of serial numbers is fairly
common with Davis-built rides. The fork is correct for a YALE. In addition, the YALE has been
observed sporting a Dayton fork and also the very-common Davis 3-plate honeycomb crown fork.

........... patric cafaro

View attachment 101227View attachment 101230View attachment 101231View attachment 101232

Cool, thanks for the clearing that up. But could it be a Dayton with a Yale fork? I ask because there is still a ghost image of the Dayton badge on the front, under the badge - like the paint faded everywhere but behind the badge. Either way I dig it. And hope to get it back together. Anyone have a catalog link, I'd like to find this blue color and repaint it. Thanks.

And Bri, somedays it looks like a bomb went off in there too.

tailhole ... Davis shut the factory doors in Spring of 1923. The Shelby Bicycle Co. purchased the remains.
It is known that Shelby produced that Dayton .. using a Yale fork .. which could be had with an underbolted
truss-rod support plate and individual truss-rods.

The Dayton was available ONLY in carmine/black accents ... AND ... black/carmine accents ... when produced
by Davis. The Yale was available only in cerulean blue/white accents .. when produced by Davis.

However, when Shelby was producing entire bicycles from parts purchased from Davis .. Shelby was free to
paint the bicycles whatever color scheme Shelby desired. In mid-1923 .. you could be the owner of a Shelby-
built Dayton ... having a Dayton badge and chainring ... painted cerulean blue .. having a Davis-built Yale fork ..
and sporting ABSOLUTELY NO SERIAL NUMBER. Your Blue Dayton could even have fenders with a half-inch
dropside ... something Davis never utilized .. but, Shelby sure did. When Davis shut the door in 1923 ...
the Yale badge went to D.P. Harris ... But Shelby had the Yale components AND the cerulean blue paint.

Google cerulean blue ... a very-interesting color.

You are very-fortunate to have a Dayton that could be painted that color blue. I really do believe your ride
is Shelby built ... from Davis components.

................... patric cafaro

tailhole ... saw your PM and I returned same with a message to contact me direct .....

[email protected]

I don't trust the PM feature to actually work consistently .. this lack of trust for
high fah-loo-tin electronic, communication devices is a tangent-feature of my OCD.

I think this finally confirms the Davis build of my Spartan Chicago Cycle Supply badged bike. I was thinking early-mid 20s and either Schwinn or Davis built. Any vibes you get from this, hoof? Serial looks to be 454223. So many different colors under this one, it's hard to tell which is original.

DSCF3678-1.jpg

DSCF3679-1.jpg

DSCF3684-1.jpg

Back