When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Datin' a Dayton (Davis Sewing Machine Co)

-

Kato and Goldenindian ...

Thank you, to you providers of thought that causes
me to put my thinking-cap on.

Kato ... I think that ''burnt-orange'' seen on your Yale
is the primer Davis used. Have seen this primer range
in variety of from that burnt-orange thru a very,
red, red-brown.

Am posting re-posts of a NOS Davis-Built s fork that
Dave Stromberger had posted as a for-sale item, not so
very long ago.

Can't remember if Dave indicated the fork was a Yale,
or not.

We are still looking at color here .......

......... patric

Davis Harley Davidson Fork NOS-4.jpg

Davis Harley Davidson Fork NOS-3.jpg

Davis Harley Davidson Fork NOS-2.jpg

Davis Harley Davidson Fork NOS-1.jpg

Hey hey,
Yes yes I saved those pictures as well Patric....Looking at all presented, I have been swayed to say the color really is closer to a ultramarine...very pure and opaque....I love that we are getting to the bottom of this....that fork brings up a whole other thing. The Yale was painted two different ways?? The 1921 catalog says the Yale had "panels" of white on the top bar and fenders. Like the black panels on the Harley. That fork has GOLD pins on it.....but I would have thought WHITE box pins....the early yale has NO panels.....when the fender went to a dropside it got those white panels. I also think that is when you see the YALE chainring comes in. I think the early double box pin was gold. What do you guys think? Post pics in a bit.

Last edited:
Both non dropside fenders(early) NO panels. Double gold pin on fork
IMG_0026.jpg
IMG_0028.JPG

The blue machine IS a Yale. I don't have a good dropside painted picture...but it should a white panels on the middle of the fenders . Later the Yale should be painted like the Harley but blue and white. I wonder when this change happen??(I hope this is making sense to someone other than me.)

Last edited:
Back