When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Datin' a Dayton (Davis Sewing Machine Co)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Who Put The Bomp In The Bomp-Shoo-Bomp-Shoo-Bomp ?? Who Put The _ _ _ In The ..... ??

WHO'S HI-JACKIN' WHO ?? .... jpromo .. yours is a Schwinn ... Good Points You Pointed-Out There .. Balloontyre and dave the wave ... !!!
PARDONE IF i yam leafin' anyone out ...

................ patric

tank02.jpg

I yam gonna add some pics to a previous entry in this thread, tailhole ... but it's gonna hafta wait 'til tomorrow ...........
DARKNESS FALLS IN THE PLACE WHERE I LIVE ... AM ABOUTS TO HOP ON MY SCOOT and JOIN IN ... I OWN THE NIGHT.

Well, not really ... if you think about it.

Last edited:
welded truss rods

I've had a bunch of Schwinn forks with the 'grabbers' (that's what my girlfriend calls the truss rod arms), but never seen one with them welded to the bottom of the fork. Davis did this on some of their forks, correct? Did Schwinn or do you think this was an owner mod? Or some other bicycle mystery??

Thanks for all the awesome information Hoof! The rest of the parts the bike came with jive much more with Schwinn so that's nice.

OUT ON MY SCOOT right now ....

BUT ABLE TO USE THE TELEPATHY APP ON MY DELL 17" LAPPER ... tailhole ... i will add to those Shelby-Built Dayton pics
tomorrow ... i am using the telepathy app and i don't know how to attach fotos in that mode ... pullin' in to a Shell Station
... gonna grab a cuppa joe and spark a decent forty-five cent cigar, now.

Will type to ya tomorrow ...................

Last edited:
FOTOS ADDED THRU EDIT .... (item 11 of this thread)

FOTOS HAVE BEEN ADDED TO ITEM #11 of this thread as promised 6/25/13.

I should have noticed all along that the Davis frames have a lug at the seat binder as well, whereas the Schwinn does not. Otherwise.. pretty darn close! Glad to finally be confident in an ID.

To Lug Or Not To Lug ..... That Is The Question.

WHOA .. jpromo ... the Davis Dayton frame always has lugs comin' out the feng-shway .. but not always in the same places.

The Davis NON-DAYTON frames .. H-D .. and SOME of the YALE frames did NOT have lugs .. however .. within certain models ...
the Sear's CHIEF or the Sear's NAPOLEAN .. there is more often than not, a lug at the seat-post binder.

Tho' difficult to ever see one ... the Davis Racer ... Track Racer or Road Racer .. has lugs everywhere you can imagine ... as did
the 26" wheel AND the 20" wheel Juvenile Bicycles of Davis .. Dayton .. H-D .. Yale .. Sear's Tiger.

In Addition the 26" .. 20" .. AND All Davis Racers (1.125" racing tire) feature 7/8" tubing (outer diameter) ... BUT WAIT ...
a few of the 20" bicycles are built using 3/4" tubing ... just a little smaller O.D. than 7/8" tubing.

THERE IS A THREAD on The Cabe ... Show Your Davis Built Bicycles ... started by dave the wave .. you may learn some good
stuff .. with pics and all ... it is worth a read !!!

............. patric cafaro

HOLY CRAP ... can't believe I actually got all this stuff typed without shooting myself in the face .. just to relieve the pain of tryin'
ta keep the info straight ... WOW !!!

GOIN' OUTSIDE ... a decent forty-five cent cigar is crying to be sparked ..............

TAILHOLE ... contact me off the line ... FOUND A GREAT ITEM FOR YOU !!!

Tailhole ... cleanin' the basement for the past two weeks ... good news for you --- FOUND A Pre-Balloon SHELBY,
under the fork-crown, bolt-on, TRUSS ROD PLATE FOR YOUR SHELBY-BUILT DAYTON. The artifact is not a beater
but has patina that soap will not remove. I had a great-uncle with this issue. He passed away in 1956.

CONTACT ME off the line soon .. need your mailing address .. and I can get this in the mail on Tuesday. Already
have the box.

HAVE YOUR WALLET PREPARED ... this is gonna cost you one LARGE cuppa coffee next time you go to a swap meet
at Memory Lane Classics .. Grande Rapids, Ohio. Spring or Fall .. chooze yer season !!!

............. patric cafaro

Back