When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dating a men's Pierce

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Dick Rath

Look Ma, No Hands!
I am restoring a men's Pierce that, based on it's #4 Buffalo "The Pierce Cycle Company" head badge and it's New Departure Model A rear hub I've narrowed it down to having been produced after 1907. It's serial number (stamped on the right side chain tensioner is 174006. It has a nickel plated one piece fork with a smooth domed crown that is different from any forks I see in posted picture on The Cabe. It has the remnants of a small band type decal on the the inside lower face of the head tube that reads "Service Model"; unusual I believe since I do not see any posted pictures with this designation. The bike's original finish is a the standard Pierce dark red or some might call maroon and has fine lined double gold pin striping with closed box ends. Any help in dating this bike would be appreciated; perhaps there are other features that might be significant in dating the bike that I'm missing. The crank arm is one piece and the sprocket seems to be the stand Pierce 6 spoke model. Also the bike has it's original rain gutter fenders. I'll post some pictures laterwhen the restoration is completed.
Thanks,
Dick Rath
Time Machines, Limited

Your hyperlink isn't working for me. It helps if you attach a pic(s) in the post. V/r Shawn

My guess is the bike is from about 1912. If it is a "service model" maybe it has heavier-duty parts than normal, I have seen a few bikes meant for use by businesses in factories or for delivery that had heavy-gauge spokes and frame etc. Weigh the bike and compare it to the weights listed in Pierce catalogs to see if it is of heavier construction in some way.

My guess is the bike is from about 1912. If it is a "service model" maybe it has heavier-duty parts than normal, I have seen a few bikes meant for use by businesses in factories or for delivery that had heavy-gauge spokes and frame etc. Weigh the bike and compare it to the weights listed in Pierce catalogs to see if it is of heavier construction in some way.
Service model had thicker wall tubing and more spokes

TALK SOFTLY AND TAKE POSIES. AND DONT WORRY ABOUT THE PIERCING

Back