When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dating a Schwinn Lincoln...19??

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I have a bike that had a strange serial # stamped on the bottom bracket.. I sanded around it and revealed the original #.. Another option would be to pull out the crank..
Mine is a 1937

As pictured in green, it has an awful lot of circa 1940 Schwinn parts. I second the notion to check the old crank for a date. It looks like it may be Schwinn too, and circa 1940 it would be dated.

What I cant get my head around is the 3 digit serial number, the frame that doesn't really look like Schwinn in the 1940 era, the Chicago Cycle badge that you see on Schwinns, but in this case it appears to be held on with u-drives instead of the screws you would normally see on a 1940 era Schwinn. My best guess, and it truly is a wild one, is that Chicago Cycle put this together themselves with Schwinnn parts and a frame from some other source. You should take that with a huge grain of salt. The other guys around here know a lot more than I do.

Whatever it is, I really like it.

I like it. Whatever the frame is it seems to be kitted out as an adult commuter or transportation bike, which is pretty rare from that era.

Not sure about the serial, but those aren't much help in many cases anyway. As mentioned before, lots of 40/41 Schwinn parts on it as well as the tell-tale 40-41 style Schwinn seat collar. It's Chicago Cycle Supply, so anything goes.

Regardless, very cool bike before and after.

Chicago Cycle Supply was a old bicycle and parts wholesaler from long ago. The owner of CCS had a brother who ran Louisville Cycle Supply out of Louisville, KY. I did business with both of these companies back in the 70's and 80's.

Those rebuilt wheels have the valve stem one click out of position ....valves should be placed where the spokes run perfectly parallel to one another ....Stronglight crank would not have been found on original build = it's a double chainring crank for a 10 speed road bicycle ....seat, grips, handlebar, tires, stem, brake levers, pedals are used in order to expedite a rebuild ....it is a nice looking bicycle, even with many 'non-original' parts

Back