When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dating an old San Jose Bike License Plate

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

JoeBass

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hey all,
I'm wondering what the date of this San Jose license plate is. Guessing 1948. Any insights?
Thanks,
Joe

PATH21.jpg

-----

thank you for posting this plate

have not before seen one with the holes in the bottom corners

this suggests there may have been an alternate mounting method at this time in addition to the metal strip with the "acorn" closure

-----

Last edited:
-----

will guess because of last two digits as in the 241st cycle registered in that year

-----
I don't know of any bicycle plates that are numbered that way. There are several ways to narrow it down. First if you know the bike it came off of originally it can never be older than the bike. The actual construction of the plate gives clues too. Size, steel or aluminum, original colors, font type, placement of the text (note your S.J.B.L. is in the center rather than at the top), and placement of the holes. Did it come with a band? If so was that band a bell end or a flat end. In most cases the bell end wasn't used after the late 1950's. You could get lucky and find the paper registration with the date on it.
Just going over to "Bicycle License Plates" on Facebook and asking Jose Hermosillo or Mike Franco or some of the other Cali guys might help too.
Personally I believe your plate is the second version of the S.J.B.L. undated plates since all the those with the letters at the top have the lower numbers and and the plates like yours have the higher numbers. I would guess your plate is late 50's or early 60's.

Thanks very much for the help! Not sure of the exact age of the bike. The company went out of business in 1958, so the latest it could be would be late 50's. Unfortunately, it was just held on by some rusty wire.

Some places required a new license every year or two and those plates will have the year on them. If it's a one time issue like in most cities, there are no dates on the plate.

Here is an earlier steel plate variation….Is your plate steel?....the two bottom holes are on all plates, nothing special. I love these subtle variations in plates and the subsequent questions that it produces…. the details of your plate are more defined and deeper pressed...I will have to review some other dated plates in my collection in order to decide on a date......

Last edited:
Back