When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dating Schwinn tires?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

coasterbrakejunkie1969

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I have a few westwind tires and a Stingray Slik , I'm looking for info on how to read manufacture date. Is it as simple as month and year?

I want to say these are made by Carlisle and on the site somewhere are some charts for dating these. I keep seeing Mr. Candy when trying to do searches though so something is broken. I have the same charts on my site as well. V/r Shawn

these may be of some help

schwinn tire codes.jpg

TIRE DATE CODES.jpg

Update : 1974 Schwinn Bicycle Company, Production Date Codes for Bicycle Tires / Chart.
U.S. Royal, Uniroyal, Carlisle & Goodyear ...

Paper Tunes389.jpg

So the number on the right side of the oval circle on the Carlisle tires is the second run, right?
That is how I have always understood it to be, but I have not found that info anywhere.
Wonder if there is a '80's Tire Code Chart? ... Would explain the later Tire codes better.

Update : 1974 Schwinn Bicycle Company, Production Date Codes for Bicycle Tires / Chart.
U.S. Royal, Uniroyal, Carlisle & Goodyear ...

View attachment 1967083
So after posting this 1974 Schwinn Bicycle Co. Production Date Codes for Bicycle Tires Chart ... Goodyear & Carlisle
I've discovered that Carlisle had changed to a different Date Code using ... UU (-) # on their Tires.

Example ... Carlisle Balloon ... Date Code UU (11-4) 402 ... Nov. 1974 or 1984? ... New Style
uu 11 4.jpg

Last edited:
UPI ARCHIVES

FEB. 28, 1987

Last bicycle tire made in America​

By ANNE MCGRAW

CARLISLE, Pa. -- The American-made bicycle tire is history.
The last of them rolled off the production line Friday at Carlisle Tire & Rubber Co., a former Goliath in the bike tire business bought by overseas competitors.

The company, which made about 117 million bicycle tires over nearly four decades, closed production lines after removing the final two tires from factory presses.

About 70 employees were present for the historic, but somber occassion.

'I'm a little sad. This is my job,' said supervisor Joe Rice, who has been on the tire-production line since 1971 and will be reassigned to another job with the company.

'A lot of the people feel the imports have taken our livelihood away,' Rice said. 'Most of them feel we didn't get support from the Congress or the president.'

In its failed effort to stay in the bicycle tire business, the company poured millions of dollars into new equipment and launched an advertising campaign aimed at patriotic consumers, said company president Jack Hollis.

'Unfortunately very few people buy products because they're made in America,' Hollis said.

The nation's big-name tire makers got out of the bicycle tire business in the 1970s, he said.

Mike Kershow, a spokesman for the Bicycle Manufacturers Association of America based in Washington, D.C., said Carlisle Tire & Rubber was the nation's only remaining producer of bike tires.

'Actually there's very little on a bicycle today that is made in America and actually very few bicycles made in America,' the spokesman for the trade group said. 'The problem is low-priced imports.'

Cheaper labor is 'probably the simplest answer' to why U.S. companies cannot compete with manufacturers ofbicycles and bike parts in other countries, chiefly Japan, Taiwan and Korea, Kershow said.

The production of tires at Carlisle Tire & Rubber dwindled from a high of 40,000 per day in 1974 to 1,000 daily this year, Hollis said.

Total Speculation on my part, information about United States Rubber Co., being renamed ... UNIROYAL, to unify the brand.
Uniroyal in 1970 discontinued manufacturing bicycle tires.
Carlisle then must have acquired the Uniroyal bicycle tire molds contracted by SCHWINN.
Carlisle manufactured these tires using their Bicycle Tire Date Code. ... C (# - #) #
"C" stands for Carlisle (month - year) dot or # ... plant mfg. number.
By unifying Uniroyal & Carlise bicycle tire molds, somewhere in the late 1970's Carlisle changed their Bicycle Date Code to ... UU (# - #) #
"UU" stands for United States Rubber & Uniroyal Inc. (month -year) # ... plant mfg. number.
Again, total speculation on my part. 😜

Back