When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dating Schwinn's Odd Ball Postwar Serial Numbers

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

GTs58

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Dating the post war X serial numbers.

So far nobody has previously answered my question of when the X serial numbers were used. Over the prewar war years the lightweights had the same prefix letter as the balloon models on the one piece crank shells and the serials on the three piece crank shells had the same prefix letter and only 4 numbers that were hand stamped all thru the late 30's and 40's prewar and war time era, and into the first few years of the post war production. I believe it was 1949 when the lightweight three piece crank shells were first machine stamped. This was also the time Schwinn machine stamped many of the Tandem shells with the T00000 numbers that started at #1000. All previous tandem numbers were hand stamped and the very first few produced had just three digits.

Here is a 1949 Continental with a 49-3 SA hub date and a low X serial number. No balloon models had components that were dated other than an occasional rarely seen dated crank to somewhat accurately date those models.

1665898229702.png

1665898267476.png

1665898324296.png

The post war R serial numbers.
Here's a DX that @Kato posted about a year ago looking for the year. Tight small stamping like the first machine stamped numbers that showed up in 1937. This is a post war model and it appears to have the first run of the S-2 tubular rims. So a good guess would be 1948.
In 1948 Schwinn produced 602,408 units so there had to be multiple letter prefixes and the letter D ended and the letter E started at the end of August. The B and C serials among others are found on the 1945 models

1668923329673.png

1668923263553.png

1668923294508.png

The post war R serial numbers.
Here's a DX that @Kato posted about a year ago looking for the year. Tight small stamping like the first machine stamped numbers that showed up in 1937. This is a post war model and it appears to have the first run of the S-2 tubular rims. So a good guess would be 1948.
In 1948 Schwinn produced 602,408 units so there had to be multiple letter prefixes and the letter D ended and the letter E started at the end of August. The B and C serials among others are found on the 1945 models

View attachment 1735809

View attachment 1735807

View attachment 1735808
@coryplayford_2009 - is this in your stable still ???

Back