When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Daughter's Shelby Flyer

-

Venom5sc

Look Ma, No Hands!
I picked up a balloon tire Schwinn project last year and absolutely LOVE riding it and our 8 year old daughter Shelby has been getting jealous. A couple weeks ago at a recent automotive swap meet she found what we thought would be the perfect project bike for her, a woman's Shelby Flyer. We have been able to break the bike down all the way except for removing the seat post (any advice would be appreciated) and have spent a number of hours cleaning and polishing the paint that is left. I am sure at some point she will want it repainted but I am going to hold off as long as I can until she gets older. I have been searching for information since we picked it up but could not find much at all. If anyone could point me in a direction I would appreciate it. From what I can make out the Serial Number is G53071.

The one question I have for everyone is in regards to the wheelset. Would you go with a brand new set or relace the original ones?

20170706_130904.jpg
20170707_110616.jpg
20170706_130559.jpg
20170707_110625.jpg

Thanks,

Jason and Shelby

Relace the old ones. If you were here in Ventura County i could do the set in an hour or less.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Keith, thank you for the response and the offer but we are located in WI. I do have a friend who is pretty good it, I will give him a call and hopefully get a lesson on it.

Welcome to the Cabe! Try "Kroil" on that seat post. It's a super penetrant. Try quad zero steel wool and some polishing compound. It might bring back the paint. If the wheels are straight just lube them and go. Good luck with the project!

I picked up a balloon tire Schwinn project last year and absolutely LOVE riding it and our 8 year old daughter Shelby has been getting jealous. A couple weeks ago at a recent automotive swap meet she found what we thought would be the perfect project bike for her, a woman's Shelby Flyer. We have been able to break the bike down all the way except for removing the seat post (any advice would be appreciated) and have spent a number of hours cleaning and polishing the paint that is left. I am sure at some point she will want it repainted but I am going to hold off as long as I can until she gets older. I have been searching for information since we picked it up but could not find much at all. If anyone could point me in a direction I would appreciate it. From what I can make out the Serial Number is G53071.

The one question I have for everyone is in regards to the wheelset. Would you go with a brand new set or relace the original ones?

View attachment 652731 View attachment 652733 View attachment 652730 View attachment 652734

Thanks,

Jason and Shelby
PB Blaster may help loosen up the seat post. Is the serial number stamped in the frame or on a tag? Nice project, and glad you chose a Shelby.

Tim Newmeyer
Flying Proud Racing
Shelby, Ohio

Thank you everyone. I will give PB Blaster a shot and look for Kroil if that doesn't work on the seat post.

The serial number is stamped on the bottom of the BB housing like my Schwinn.

She has been very helpful so far. I have gotten everything loose and then have her take it apart. I cant wait until we back the bearings, wondering if shes willing to put a glob of grease in her hand. She doesn't mind getting dirty so it shouldn't be an issue but for me it'll be a cool dad moment for me. If she stops working on it so do I and then she usually starts working on it again. She went and hid a little bit when it came to cleaning up the frame and polishing it. That takes a lot of patience for an 8 year old.

Thank you everyone. I will give PB Blaster a shot and look for Kroil if that doesn't work on the seat post.

The serial number is stamped on the bottom of the BB housing like my Schwinn.

She has been very helpful so far. I have gotten everything loose and then have her take it apart. I cant wait until we back the bearings, wondering if shes willing to put a glob of grease in her hand. She doesn't mind getting dirty so it shouldn't be an issue but for me it'll be a cool dad moment for me. If she stops working on it so do I and then she usually starts working on it again. She went and hid a little bit when it came to cleaning up the frame and polishing it. That takes a lot of patience for an 8 year old.
It is indeed a moment she will remember when she`s older- She may catch the "Bike Bug Disease" from old Dad.
I envy you and your time with her- tools and grease makes a tighter bond than Super Glue. Keep us advised as to your progress... I agree that the original wheels should run fine. Lube them up first. It`s a perfect first bike for her. God Bless---Cowboy

Shelby's Shelby!! Awesome!! (Cowboy beat me to that phrase but I like it)
I can't tell you how many times my daughter has been with me pickin bikes or wrenching on them. It's something that I treasure. Enjoy every minute of it!!
Looks like you might be in need of a seat. If you still are I have one and I'd be happy to donate it to your project.
Enjoy and keep us posted on the projects progress!!

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back