When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Daughter's Shelby Flyer

-
Yes, it's Shelby's Shelby. haha!

Was able to spend some more time with Shelby on her bike this week. A lot of elbow grease cleaning up the frame and other parts. The frame is just about as good as its going to get. We are starting to burn through the white paint into the red and there are areas of the red that are showing primer.

20170806_173119.jpg

I think the front wheel will be ok but the rear wheel has a number of broken spokes and will need to be re laced. I haven't gotten into town to pick up another can of PB Blaster so as you can see the seat post is still stuck. She did clean the headset bearings and greased them! Pretty cool moment. Not sure what I am doing wrong but I couldn't get the fork back together with the washer between the truss rod bracket and stem nut. There wasn't enough threads yet the bearings seem to be riding properly... will have to take it apart again to try to figure it out.

Tom, I will send you a PM

More progress to come!

I had a weird bearing issue with a Shelby. There appeared to be to different size bearings in the head tube. Try swapping them. If that doesn't work Then check the cone on the fork tube. They are pressed on Sometimes they loosen up and can move up the tube. A little tap with a wooden mallet will get it back in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Making some progress on Shelby's bike. I could tell she was getting frustrated with all of the cleaning that had to be done so we took a little break..She asked for a set of wheels for her birthday and we were able to locate a nice set locally that fit. Christmas break will hopefully allow us enough time together to get closer to piecing it all back together again.

20171205_212807.jpg

Making some progress on Shelby's bike. I could tell she was getting frustrated with all of the cleaning that had to be done so we took a little break..She asked for a set of wheels for her birthday and we were able to locate a nice set locally that fit. Christmas break will hopefully allow us enough time together to get closer to piecing it all back together again.

View attachment 721038

It's coming along great! It's cool you're doing the project with her. She will treasure it!

Great bike, and great post. It' awesome you getting to work on this with your daughter. I hope you both are enjoying your progress.
Ride on
Sean

Hello everyone. I know it's been awhile but wanted yo give you an update. Shelby finally put the finishing touches on her bike. It helps that she can now reach the pedals and enjoy it. Happy to have shared the time with her working on it. Now its time to put some miles on it.
282a05a6029a453890b81e5dcd53f19b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back