When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Davis made decal question.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

redline1968

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
While researching Davis bikes namely Harley Davidson. I found a interesting detail not noticed before on these bikes. The decal I found has 2 variations mine in harley colored border/inside and with black. Then one example off the net is in red border and white/black. Why the variation? Did harley bikes have the hd color decal and non hd bikes came with a different decal? The first one is mine and the frame with the striped fender is the net.

redline1968 ... i don't believe most readers are even aware of a H-D bicycle actually
having a Davis decal on the seat mast ... or anywhere on the bicycle, for that matter.

This typer is stunned .. not so much for the graphic-variation seen in those two Davis
decals that you posted ... am stunned because i've never observed such an occurance ..
that being the parent company indicator (decal) on a machine 'supposedly-built' by H-D.

What a great find this is, redline1968 ... Good Eye !!!

You done good !!!

............. patric

chitown ... wow ... i would like to say i knew if original H-D badged bicycles
had that little Davis decal on them ... but can't 'cause i don't know. Never have seen
an example on an authentic H-D badged bicycle ... 'cept for redline1968's example.

Aarrrgh !!!

thinking  -- MASTER COPY -- cabe davis decal on h-d.jpg

Never have seen an example on an authentic H-D badged bicycle ... 'cept for redline1968's example.

An authentic red paint H-D badged example??? I respectively disagree.

attachment.php

The badge on this bike doesn't look H-D to me, nor does the sprocket. I don't know why this bike is repeatedly trying to be passed off as a Harley Davidson when it clearly isn't. I don't know what the badge on this bike was either. It has been removed and so has the sprocket and replaced with H-D sprocket.

If I'm misinterpreting the intent of this thread then I apologize.

Glad you post that pic that color u see is red primer. Not red. The question is the decal is harley green not the regular decal why?. Also that is a correct hd bike chain ring is not.

Last edited:
A decal survived but no paint??? My question would be, why is a decal showing directly on primer, not paint?

Can you share what this bike was originally badged?

As far as variations in color, because Davis was a DOCUMENTED supplier of military bikes, they may have made some during the war period. Other manufacturers had olive green bikes in the teens also. Not exclusive to Harley.

Actually the decal is flaking off slightly. The entire thing was painted black over the paint and decal why it's still there is a question. The color is hd. I don't think Davis built bikes during ww2.

Actually the decal is flaking off slightly. The entire thing was painted black over the paint and decal why it's still there is a question. The color is hd. I don't think Davis built bikes during ww2.

Maybe your decal is a repro. I don't know how a decal is the only surviving piece or original surface on this bike. Especially if you say it was painted black over it. So you are saying that there is ORIGINAL paint under the decal???

I was referring to WWI as when Davis built military bikes.

What was the badge on this bike? It looks oval in shape?

Back