When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Davis Sewing Machine out of business start of Huffman Mfg.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

shoe3

I live for the CABE
In Memoriam
Then along about 1914 the automobile sprang into widespread popularity, and the bicycle was forced to give ground. Following closely on the heels of this new vehicle’s appearance came the World War, and while no one in Dayton realized it at the time, it really sounded the death knell of this famous old industrial plant.

At the command of the government, the Davis halted its production of bicycles and sewing machines and converted a large part of its machinery into the manufacture of munitions. Again the payroll boomed, but it was not the solid, substantial prosperity that had attended its peace-time years. Munitions were provided to meet the government’s demands. But each day that the machinery was on that work it was growing farther away from the time when it could again be utilized for producing the things for which it was originally intended. The regular business of the company suffered. The electric sewing machine came in and was marketed by several competitors at a time when, through force of circumstances, the Davis was unable to meet and cope with such competition. The cry was for munitions and more munitions. The world was being made safe for democracy—but at the cost of the Davis reputation and markets.

image.jpg

In 1916 Davis purchased the Yale and Snell lines from the Consolidated Manufacturing Company of Toledo, Ohio. Davis also purchased the "National" line of bikes from the National Bicycle Company of Bay City, Michigan. Davis kept the National head badge changing only the name of the city in which the bikes were built. Davis even kept painting the bikes the National blue color.

Davis also produced bikes under the names of Duro, Dixie Flyer, LaFrance, Daytonia, Shrayer, Ohio, Shapleish Hardware, Western Auto and Western Flyer.

During the year 1917, roughly one-third of all Harley-Davidson motorcycles produced are sold to the U.S. military. The Quartermasters School, a department of Harley-Davidson devoted to training military mechanics on Harley-Davidson motorcycles, opens for business in July. It will later become the Service School. The sale of Harley-Davidson bicycles begins. Individual components are made by the Davis Sewing Machine Co. of Dayton, Ohio. The bicycles are sold through the H-D dealer network.

By 1919, the last year that Sears carried a Davis model, the only Davis sewing machine featured in the catalog was a Minnesota Model C. Because the company had grown to become so dependent on sales through Sears Roebuck & Co. for its sewing machines, when Davis lost its contract with the company in 1919, it was unable to make up the loss in sales and eventually went out of business in 1924.

Horace Huffman had worked in the business since 1900 and by 1922 he was in charge of liquidating the assets of The Davis Sewing Machine Company. He used the profits from the liquidation to form the Huffman Manufacturing Company. The Davis Sewing Machine Company had survived 30 years in the bike industry, but were finished by 1922.

In 1924 Horace Huffman was put in charge of liquidating the companies machinery . At this time, the company employed 1,800 workers. Huffman used the funds to create the Huffman Manufacturing Company.

The Davis Company was purchased by the National Sewing Machine Company. The remaining Davis bike inventory was sold through 1925

image.png

1924 New York Times
Huffman Mfg. liquidated bicycle parts and machinery 1924 era and Shelby Bicycles bought the majority of them. I have noticed over the years Shelby Bicycles with with Davis Dayton,Ohio parts and Davis Dayton,Ohio bicycle with Shelby parts. Remember these folks were in business to sell bicycles not for us collectors to see if original catalog spec. correct.

Last edited:
Great information! Thank you for posting. I did not know that the HD bicycles came after the motorcycles. I thought it was the other way around.

Interesting, thanks. I don't understand why H. Huffman would have access to the funds from the liquidation. Usually the liquidator is working on behalf of the creditor(s) and the money goes to them, right?

It's amazing how much innovation mankind witnessed between 1880 and 1983. With 103 years, mankind made more advancements than in the history of mankind combined.

So much of that innovation was during 1880 through the 1920's. Much of it because of the bicycle.

Interesting, thanks. I don't understand why H. Huffman would have access to the funds from the liquidation. Usually the liquidator is working on behalf of the creditor(s) and the money goes to them, right?
I hate to pass this on without researching it a little further. Horace Huffman's grandfather, William P. was a banker and developer in Dayton. He was one of the men responsible for purchasing or investing in the Davis Sewing Machine Co. and moving it to Dayton. My guess without further research would be that either his family owned the company or were the creditors.

Last edited:
Back