When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dayton Huffman Manufacturing

-
I'd love to have it, Just out of my $$ range.
Good luck with your decision whatever it might end up at.
Hope it finds a good home.
JKent

Input:
Chain ring looks Westfield;
Fork looks Snyder;
Huffman replacements available on eBay presently.
Advice:
When painting a green bike, first use green primer.
Lose the banana seat and sissy-bar.

Last edited:
Hi Andrew,

And Thanks for the reply. The photos you've put up answer most of my questions. If you ever get the opportunity to look, the rear Morrow hub has a date code on it, probably either L1-4, or M1-4. Here is my hub showing an M2 date:

Photo A805A.jpg

L = 1941, M = 1942, and the number is the quarter it was made. So this M2 hub was made April to June 1943. Normally the hub was made a few months before the bike.

If you do decide to sell, I'm sure there will be several interested here, including me, so please don't hesitate to contact us.

If you decide to restore it, again, there are several here with experience, and we are happy to answer questions.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi All,

The Columbia 'Coffin' type ring on the bike looks to be from a Columbia G519, so is the correct size, just replaced at some stage, possibly during its military service. Personally I would leave it be until an original Huffman one came along. The crank and pedals are incorrect, but suitable ones are not too hard to find.

The 'correct' fork would be difficult to find, it is the early Huffman G519 type, so the supports for the rods are welded to it, rather than as a separate bracket on later Huffmans, and all Columbia's. Again, if it were me, I'd probably find and fit a later fork and bracket (not too hard) then keep watch for the correct fork.

There are a lot of parts missing to convert it back to a G519, but most of the really difficult parts (other than the fork, which is a real pity) are still there.

Best Regards,

Adrian

My research showed the same on the chain ring, it is Columbia and war time G 519. The biggest thing on the forks are going to be war time G 519 most likely will be welded as opposed to brazed, along with those tabs. I have to refer to Adrian on the truth to that though, I could be wrong.

20190111_201414.jpg

20190111_201143.jpg

Back