When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dayton Huffman Top Flite Project.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

ace

Wore out three sets of tires already!
001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg
004.jpg
. Anybody have a crows beak chain guard for sale or trade to help me complete my project? I have a '38 Firestone Twin-Flex parts bike to use as trade bait or plain old cash.
My research tells me it's a 39 Huffman Top Flite model bike. I'm finding some og paint under the red barn paint and will save as much as I can. I also have the alminum fender light for it so all I need is the c'guard and many hours of paint chipping. Thanks!
Ace

You lucked into that one!!! Nice bike, the '39s are hard to come by. I may be wrong but the fork looks different than mine. I still have my fork if you need it. Is it badged a Davis Flyer? If you ever want to turn loose of it keep me in mind

Last edited:
You lucked into that one!!! Nice bike, the '39s are hard to come by. I may be wrong but the fork looks different than mine. I still have my fork if you need it. Is it badged a Davis Flyer? If you ever want to turn loose of it keep me in mind

Yes it's a Davis Flyer. I questioned the fork also. Looks like a schwinn fork and no truss rods. Did yours have a dayton style fork? I have a ladies spring fork stamped 38 i was thinking of using but not sure i want to change the fender braces? I would be interested in your fork if it's the correct one. Please send me a pic and your infor on buying it. Thanks for your help.

the fork is fine, Huffman used Ashtabula style forks on some bikes during that period. the catalog only shows the regular Huffman type fork but I have several bikes that have the fork you have, and have seen several others. I always assumed that it was found on the lower line bikes, but your bike would appear to be a Top-Flite which was the third in line to the top bike. in Huffmans the lower the number the higher level the bike. the top bike for 1939 was the Model 1, next the Model 11, then the Model 21. the Model 1 was the top Twin-Flex, the Model 11 was the very first Champion, then the Top-Flite. interestingly your bike appears to have the 1940 tank, which may indicate a late '39 early '40 manufacture date. the 1940 tank deletes the screw on brackets to hold the front of the tank to the frame in favor of a design which snaps into the frame and has bumps to center the tank at the front. if your bike has it's original wheels it may have a Morrow rear hub which seems to be the most common. this may help pin it down further.

39tf.jpg

Looking Good!!

Hey Ace, Bike looks great!!! You must have some great pickers out there. Thanks again for all your help. Mike

Hey Scott, wouldn't a '40 not have the dropstand tabs on the rear dropouts? If so I'm a little confused. Also I'm not seeing the raised "nubs" on the front of the tank like Im used to seeing on the later bikes.

Last edited:
do you like this model better:rolleyes:

vbulletin

I guess that wasn't really very helpful.:rolleyes:
I have done this before but maybe it was a long time ago and it's time again.
these catalogs were not for consumer eyes, they were for prospective wholesale buyers. Say you were a Mom and Pop grocery store, and you wanted to sell a few bikes because the nearest Sears catalog store was in the next town over. what do you do? you contact one of the bicycle manufacturers and they send out a salesman who drives around his area to various stores selling the Brand X line. when he gets there he shows you this catalog and asks you what you think you could sell, and makes suggestions based on this catalog.
now lets get a bit more specific. say the salesman comes by and Pop says "Boy! I sure like the look of the Top Flite line but they are just too expensive, what can we do? the salesman pulls out a couple sheets of paper like these.
vbulletin
vbulletin

the salesman says, that's no problem, why don't you order the Model 31 which is cheaper and we'll add a few of the nicer parts, like the deluxe fenders and lit rack. "Giant Balloon Enamel "A" decoration fenders are only $0.35 more per bike! the kick stand instead of the drop stand is only $0.20, and the lit rack is only $0.90! since the Model 31 is cheaper, you'll save a bit on every bike! so Pop orders his 10 bikes for that year model, and they're slightly different from any others because no one uses these "Confidential Cost Sheets" exactly the same every time, and the sales man is on commission so he does whatever it takes to get Pop to buy a few bikes.
of course this is all speculation but these price adjustment sheets are real, and the bike looks authentic, and it doesn't really fit the catalog very well, and it's all we have to go on.

Last edited:
do you like this model better:rolleyes:

pg7.jpg

I guess that wasn't really very helpful.:rolleyes:
I have done this before but maybe it was a long time ago and it's time again.
these catalogs were not for consumer eyes, they were for prospective wholesale buyers. Say you were a Mom and Pop grocery store, and you wanted to sell a few bikes because the nearest Sears catalog store was in the next town over. what do you do? you contact one of the bicycle manufacturers and they send out a salesman who drives around his area to various stores selling the Brand X line. when he gets there he shows you this catalog and asks you what you think you could sell, and makes suggestions based on this catalog.
now lets get a bit more specific. say the salesman comes by and Pop says "Boy! I sure like the look of the Top Flite line but they are just too expensive, what can we do? the salesman pulls out a couple sheets of paper like these.
cost_sheet_a.jpg
cost_sheet_b.jpg

the salesman says, that's no problem, why don't you order the Model 31 which is cheaper and we'll add a few of the nicer parts, like the deluxe fenders and lit rack. "Giant Balloon Enamel "A" decoration fenders are only $0.35 more per bike! the kick stand instead of the drop stand is only $0.20, and the lit rack is only $0.90! since the Model 31 is cheaper, you'll save a bit on every bike! so Pop orders his 10 bikes for that year model, and they're slightly different from any others because no one uses these "Confidential Cost Sheets" exactly the same every time, and the sales man is on commission so he does whatever it takes to get Pop to buy a few bikes.
of course this is all speculation but these price adjustment sheets are real, and the bike looks authentic, and it doesn't really fit the catalog very well, and it's all we have to go on.

Just want to clarify the pics of my Top Flite. I only have one side of the tank on it to get a quick pic. It has the brackets that hold the other side of the tank to the frame. It looks just like the first catalog pic minus the guard. Still looking for that guard to complete this beautiful bicycle. Thanks!

actually it's not like the Top Flite at all. this was the point of Bentwoody66's question. he was right to point out that your bike has the cheaper frame with the drop stand mount points. a Top Flite would not likely have those. this also plays into my issue of that fork being used on lower level bikes. at best you could say that your bike isn't built as depicted in the catalog. experience tells me that it also isn't built like any of the many Huffmans I've run across in real life.
you can make a big deal out of this, or not depending on how closely you want the bike to match the catalog model.

actually it's not like the Top Flite at all. this was the point of Bentwoody66's question. he was right to point out that your bike has the cheaper frame with the drop stand mount points. a Top Flite would not likely have those. this also plays into my issue of that fork being used on lower level bikes. at best you could say that your bike isn't built as depicted in the catalog. experience tells me that it also isn't built like any of the many Huffmans I've run across in real life.
you can make a big deal out of this, or not depending on how closely you want the bike to match the catalog model.

I noticed the pics of the model 31 show a straight down tube. Mine has the slight curves. Any significants to the model? Also, my rear fender never had a drop stand clip. Also want to point out my bike has the big fenders and the deluxe paint scheme.

Last edited:
Back